User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time bird owner, I have been caiqued

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Love the close up photo.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I make signatures for members and made you one. If you do not like it I can make a different one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14364090048951.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	3031

3. The following user likes this post:

plax (07-09-2015)

Parrots

white bellied caique

Dennis vet visit report and chewing/sleep questions

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I make signatures for members and made you one. If you do not like it I can make a different one.

Name:	14364090048951.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	3031
    The vet gave him a clean bill of health and we are waiting on his psittacosis results. Hes been chewing the cage bars a lot. Hes only 6 months..hes also chewing the wodden ladders...I am guessing its normal. Do they go through a teething phase?

Also, he sleeps in his cage I keep covered at night...is it OK for him to sleep with me in my bed in a nice little sleeping box?

- - - Updated - - -

I love it!!!!!

Nobility Member

Parrots

No not in your bed. Too risky for he may suffocate or worse, even in a box. Chewing is normal for birds all their lives. They do not have teeth. That is why you need safe chewing toys. Toys made in China are not safe. TNT bird toys are very safe and made by people that also have pet birds. Some kind of woods are toxic to birds and you can study up on that. Good toys are expensive but you can get supplies and make them yourself. Tomorrow when I am on my main computer I will post some links for you to read. I also made another signature for you.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I think that the beak is like human hair and finger nails that continue to grow even when the rest of the body stops at maturity*. I am not sure how they keep their beaks in trim in the wild because despite the mayhem caused by Casper's beak around the house it still needs regular trimming at the vets.

*Certain parts of the human body continue to grow - have you ever noticed that elderly people have proportionally larger ears and beer drinkers have proportionally larger tummies.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Nobility Member

Parrots

Here is a video on making some bird toys with items you may have in your home.

Nobility Member

Parrots

If you like this sig. pic Tony may post it for you so it shows up every time your write.

Name:	Den.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	3033

Nobility Member

Parrots

Here is another style.

Name:	Den2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	3034

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (07-11-2015), PeachyDoll (07-10-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Jay, Welcome to the best Parrot forum on the web!

Dennis is oh so very cute. So much for your firm decision on a tiel, but I think you made a great choice.
    It's great that he already will step up for you. I also think Dennis needs more time getting familiar with you and his new home. I'm thinking you could have him step up more during playtime, both in and out of the cage and give him a small treat or scratch on the head when he does it. There are great links within the forum pages with all kinds of ideas and techniques to help us. Body language is a thing to work on too.
    Looking forward to hearing all the things you will learn about Dennis .

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    What a beautiful bird ! Welcome to the forum!