User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time bird owner, I have been caiqued

Parrots

white bellied caique

First time bird owner, I have been caiqued

Hello all, I never owned a bird before (not counting chickens) and I had been wanting one. After 6 months of saving up and reading up I went to a exotic bird store and firmly decided that I would get a tiel. The lady was absolutely helpful and introduced me to all the birds the pros and cons and the like. During my research on caiques I crossed them out as they were generally listed as advanced owners material.

After an hour and a half of deliberation I decided to get a white bellied caique. There were three and two were available to take home. I was allowed to handle both but unfortunately I think I handled one and the other one manhandled me. I bought Dennis home (not sure about the sex but I am calling him Dennis) and he was inspecting his new home while I was setting up the cage which took about 20 min. I wanted him to rest after the 2 h drive and asked him to step up - he refused flat out and walked away. I tried repeatedly without any luck and finally called the lady and she said corner him if you have to and ask him to step up very firmly but do not grab him or lunge at him. Bingo!! it worked like a charm.

Now here is the problem/question/doubt whatever it is I have -

To be able to bond with him I bring him out and pet and talk to him and put down toys and a water pan on the floor for him to hop around and play. When I approach the cage he backs away but steps up when I put my hand in. If I let him down on the couch or the floor in the hopes that he will play he will fly/jump/hop his way to the cage climbs up all the way and sits on the play pen on the top most perch, preens himself, and then glares at me non stop. I go back to the cage again he backs away from me and when I insist he step up he does. As soon as I let him down to play after a few minutes of petting and talking he goes back to the perch and starts glaring at me.

I am not sure about bird behavior and how to read their body language. I just want to make sure I am not doing any wrong. Hes active in his cage eats plays and whistles. He's not nipped at me once and does not struggle to free himself when I hold him but makes sounds and screeches and is quite calm.

Its been only 3 days and I understand it takes time but the fact that he does not go into his cage but goes straight to the perch and glares down at me has me worried - just want to nip any bad behavior carefully and early. Any input on bonding with a new bird (he was hand fed) techniques tips are welcome. Attaching a pic of him perched on the top of the cage. His glaring point.
    Attachments Attachments IMG_0986.jpg  

2. The following user likes this post:

Lady (07-10-2015)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hi Jay. Welcome to Precisely Parrots! And congratulations on your new Caique boy (or girl)

Dennis' behavior sounds to be about what I would expect from a new bird who has no major issues. Three days isn't long, and with the techniques of encouragement you've mentioned it sounds like he's being fairly cooperative to me. Birds typically feel the most secure when at high vantage points. And please realize that many birds regard their cage as their safe zone. I think Dennis the Caique is doing well at this early stage (based upon what you've stated herein). My bet is that as he becomes more used to you and his new environment there will be less of a need to corner him, and his preference to go to his cage will likely diminish to a point. As you've mentioned, 3 days is not a long time as far as acclimation goes. So I'd say that you and Dennis seem to be on a good track

It's great to have you with us, Jay. I'm sure some of our other members will chime in and offer their opinions as well. And by the way, Dennis is sure a good looking bird!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following user likes this post:

94lt1 (07-14-2015)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Hi Jay and welcome!! Dennis is a beauty!

I don't have small bird experience but we do have some members with caiques. They are supposed to be super fun, high energy, interactive birds.

I agree with Tony, it will probably take a little while for Dennis to adjust to his new home and his new Dad. Just keep socializing with him, even if you just chat about what you are doing while he hangs out on his perch. Parrots usually love when you speak in really happy, excited tones, as you would a toddler. Singing is also something they seem to appreciate. Those things can help you bond. I read somewhere a long time ago to mirror their body language. I did that with my GW Rosie when she was a baby and she enjoyed it. I still do it sometimes when we play. ie: if Dennis stretches to the left, you can stretch to the left and say what a good stretch!

Dennis looks pretty happy and interested in your pic. What you consider glaring might just be him checking you out. I know it took me a while to get used to Rosie staring at me. I don't even notice it for the most part now. And let me tell you, my girl NEVER stops looking at me, even if she is interacting with someone else. Lol
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 07-08-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Hi Jay and Dennis welcome to the forum.

I agree with Plax and Kendra 3 days is still early to expect your new fid to adjust fully to you. He's taking his time getting to know you and how things go, he will want to be in his safe place which is his cage. I wouldn't expect him to jump into water in a container on the floor or play with things he may never have seen or played with before because its not something he knows and is use to. Birds can be very suspicious of new things.

Play with him perched on your hand, offer him a couple of toys and see if he is interested in them, once he is more assured you are his best friend and you are spending one on one time with him he will come around to new things you offer him.

I love caiques they are intelligent very active funny birds, they have the tendency to hop around on both feet like a kangaroo and offer loads of laughs.

Enjoy getting to know your new friend.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    hello and welcome (short message typed one handed because Casper is sitting on the other)
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (07-08-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Hi there an welcome to PP and to the world of companion parrots. All I know about this species is that they love to eat and one must watch out for obesity and they have a clownish personality. I would not let him get used to playing on the floor. Too many hazards can be found there. Also take time to look up an avian vet for his wellness care and possible other visits. Best of luck and if you have any questions or concerns please ask us.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    What did you name this cutie?
    Last edited by spiritbird; 07-09-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Parrots

white bellied caique

His name is Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    What did you name this cutie?
    Thank you for all the advice. He took food directly from my hand today so thats a positive sign. He has his vet appointment tomorrow. Here are a few pics
    Attachments Attachments IMG_0994.jpg  

IMG_0989.jpg  

12. The following 5 users like this post:

kendrafitz (07-09-2015), Lady (07-10-2015), Mr Peepers (07-09-2015), PeachyDoll (07-10-2015), plax (07-09-2015)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Dennis is very cute.
    Casper is supposed to be white on the top of his head but due to his love of playing under the newspaper we put down for him to poop on he is usually more of a grubby grey colour. I hate to think what his tummy would look like if it was white. He is eating cherries at the moment, hmmm.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (07-09-2015)

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Quote Originally Posted by drpuckster View Post
    Thank you for all the advice. He took food directly from my hand today so thats a positive sign. He has his vet appointment tomorrow. Here are a few pics

Taking food from you is a good sign!

Great pics of Dennis (soon to be The Menace?)

16. The following user likes this post:

PeachyDoll (07-10-2015)