User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess What! - need breeders advice

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Most petstores sell small plastic ones that hang on the inside of the cage.Linnies are generally not at all aggressive when it comes to their nests.We are able to reach in and check them without any issues.The plastic ones i mentioned typically have a clear plastic on one end that slides up and a black cover to give them privacy.They really are perfect for these little guys.Ourselves and other breeders of linnies use these exclusively because they are so good.They even have a small cup as part of the bottom mould of the plastic to keep the eggs from rolling all over.
    "Ivo"

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Sound like the one I have but will not hang where it should on outside because the prongs to hang with are too wide to fit through the cage bars. I will try and post a photo tomorrow.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    OK here is a link to the box I am talking about. http://www.amazon.com/Vision-83385-B...261a891865bbf2 Its nice except I cannot mount on the outside of the cage due to the width of the hooks. I am not strong enough in the hands to make any alterations in the cage nor do I want to spread out the bars of the cage. Its rather useless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	birds 2015, July 008.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	3037 You can see here how wide the plastic hooks are. For a small bird nest you would think it would be better made to hang on 1/2 bar spacing.

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Ah...completely differant from the ones we use.Ours are rectangular,black and easily hang on the inside of even very small cages.
    "Ivo"

Nobility Member

Parrots

Can you please post a photo of your nest box? The one in the photo will not fit any of the two cages I have. It must be made only for vision cages. So, I am nest box shopping. Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-B4330-Pa.../dp/B0002ARXZS Also how does one attach the box to the outside of the cage where the opening is located?

Parrots

1 Male Pacific Parrotlet Named: Tico 1 Female Rose Crown Conure Named: Zoey 1 Female Cobalt Lineolated Parakeet Named: Lilo 1 Female Creamino Lineolated Parakeet Named: Belle
    I inquired about this with my breeder when my female Lilo laid about four eggs over spring.. It was my first experience with eggs and My female was about two years old... because she was older my breeder said I wouldn't really have to worry as much about egg binding. When hens are younger they are at higher risk for egg binding so be careful. Also it's not recommended to breed two blue birds... it's more recommended to breed a mutation back to green to keep the babies strong. Although I know this lol, though both my babies are from a pairing of blue parents, but both of mine are girls

Thanks Mr. Peepers (siggy)
    Rest in Peace... (Trixster) 03/17/2000​

7. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-18-2015)

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    I would go ahead and put the breeder box in the cage with a paper towel or news paper. Every time my budgies have done that there ends up being eggs in the breeder box!

9. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-18-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

With the help of a neighbor friend the plastic nesting box has been customized to fit the cage. If have the nesting materials also at the ready. The only thing I do not have is hand feeding supplies and I hope not to use them. I like the idea of co parenting baby birds. However a first time for me and the parent birds is scary.

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Maybe there is a few recipes of specialty formulas you make for your breeding birds when they lay eggs and have chicks to feed?

Dry egg food can be purchased in a small box or bag, you just add water and veggies if you like its easily available at most pet stores.

I've made fresh egg food for breeding birds by using freshly hard boiled eggs, I smash the eggs through a sieve creating a fine mixture then I added cut up finely tips of raw broccoli and super fine shredded carrots to the egg fix.

I then add either dry egg food or fresh bread crumbs or cous cous or quinoa to the mix, it stores in the fridge for days and should be fed to your breeding pair twice a day. The parent birds usually hoover the mix up and use this to feed the chicks, it gives extra vitamins and minerals to growing chicks and helps keep parent birds healthy as tending to chicks can stress them out when feeding.

This egg food offers so much more then just the regular fruit veg and seed mix your birds eat daily.

12. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (08-18-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Very helpful, thanks Nick. I have been giving them egg food but not like you mix it. I can do this when the time comes. I just made an appointment at my avian vet who is super experienced and travels the world visiting other bird vets. Late September I will take Tango to him and see if she is old enough and healthy enough in body to go through 1 or 2 hatchings. My poor birdies are still cage bound waiting for flights to grow back. Its a painfully slow process and they get so stressed out when I take them out by hand and play with them. If I had no furniture it would be ok to let them run around the floor but they both go under the sofa or chair and stay there. Even in the bathroom Kobe finds a place to hide from me I cannot get to.

14. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-18-2015)