User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess What! - need breeders advice

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Guess What! - need breeders advice

As I was checking e mails this morning all was quiet. I heard sweet Linnie sounds but my eyes were on the computer screen. Happened to look up for a second and low and behold Kobe and Tango were mating! Does the female always lay eggs after mating? I really know nothing about the details here.

At least I have dummy eggs. I could of course keep 2 of the real ones if things happen here. There is no nest box in the cage but I do have one. OK breeders any advice here?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Anyone?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Well, I have no advice but sounds like you are in for an adventure! . Good luck!

4. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (07-02-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I have read and heard about giving the birds all the nesting material they need and let them go through the process. With Tango being 7 month old she will most likely not be a good mom the first time round. That is just an uneducated guess. Hey Steve where are you?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I know I would be nervous. Researching is the way to go, till Steve or someone with some experience pops in to help. Seven months old sure seems young to be a Dad, but that is because I have yet to research anything about breeding birds. The eggs are going to be so very tiny I would think.... oh just imagine how tiny the baby's will be~

7. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (07-03-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

They seem to have just discovered the newspaper in the cage bottom.

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    They seem to have just discovered the newspaper in the cage bottom.

Are they shredding the newspaper up and gathering it in a corner? 7 months is not too young to breed... I've seen a cock budgie that was 5 month old that bred with budgie hen who was close to 9 months old. They produced a couple of nice healthy clutches.

If the urge is there they will breed and find nesting material and lay eggs.

Nobility Member

Parrots

No shredding yet. What else can a bird do when caged all day long. Grow back flight feathers!

11. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (07-04-2015)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Well I guess im late to this one.Usually nothing comes from the first egg laying.At 7months you may get eggs but they may not be viable.You may not even get eggs because of their age.If you are interested in having a group of little ones, I would go to your local pet store and pick up a plactic nest box...about 10 bucks...put some pine shavings in and see what happens.Eggs if layed on the bottom of cages are subject to waste being thrust upon them and if your cage is so equiped with a grate they will fall thru causing the parents tremendous stress.The most likely scenerio at the age you mentioned is they were simply going thru the motions...I have a pair of conures that have been on that honeymoon for a couple years now qith no eggs.
    "Ivo"

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks for the reply. I have a plastic nest box I got on Amazon but it does not fit to hang on outside of cage. Would have to either get one that will or put this one inside of cage on floor which is not ideal.

I really know next to nothing about raising chicks. My birds have shown no signs of nesting behavior except crawling under newspaper which Kobe has done since day 1. I just assumed eggs would follow mating but that has not happened. Guess I should be more prepared for this in the future. Thanks again Dave.