5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let them go

4 80.00%
  • Not let them go

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Question

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I think my view of safe place may differ from other's. Amigo came to me a completely caged bird at eight years old. He is a free bird now and still our friend and part of our family. Poll question.. "Would you let your bird be free in a safe place". Heck, yeah! Not only Amigo but Sassy and Chip, too! Birds were born to be free and to fly at will.

At risk of sounding harsh and not caring, if Amigo was taken by a hawk tomorrow, I will know that he had a halfway full life, a happy life. I would miss him and would always hold him dear to my heart but would also know, that I gave him what he needed.
    I agree with you, Mare... but with one exception. I believe that to be taken by a hawk would be an unfathomably brutal and horrifying way to die. I guess the question in my mind would be whether or not my happiness about the years of wonderful and contented freedom could appease my knowledge of such a violently agonizing end
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (07-20-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I think a predator bird starts to eat the prey while its still alive!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I would love for Casper to be with his own kind but he knows its a jungle out there and he has rejected my offer of a first class ticket to the Amazon. ~I think his reluctance is mainly due to the huge amount of effort he has put into training us to attend to his every wish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casper260.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	3048
    Tickle me Mum
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casper257.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	3049
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (07-21-2015), Mare (07-20-2015), Mr Peepers (07-20-2015), plax (07-20-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Tony, yes, it makes me happy to see Amigo free but his freedom wasn't given to him to make ME happy, it was to make HIM happy. Death by hawk is an unimaginably brutal thought, I know it could happen, pray it doesn't but I could not take his freedom away just because I'm afraid of something like that happening. I think it would be more devastating for him to be locked up for the rest of his life.

7. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-21-2015)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Tony, yes, it makes me happy to see Amigo free but his freedom wasn't given to him to make ME happy, it was to make HIM happy. Death by hawk is an unimaginably brutal thought, I know it could happen, pray it doesn't but I could not take his freedom away just because I'm afraid of something like that happening. I think it would be more devastating for him to be locked up for the rest of his life.
    I support your feelings on this, Mare. I was merely stating a question that I'm sure would plague me if the unthinkable happened

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (07-20-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I understand where you are coming from, Tony. I think this would be a personal dilemma for anyone. When Tim and I decided to take on this venture with Amigo, that was the foremost thought in our minds..what if something like a hawk attack or him getting lost happened, could we live with that knowing it was our fault for allowing this? It took a few years of complete stress, on my part, every time I cut Amigo loose. I was only at ease when he was safe and sound back in the house. I can now relax, he is very comfortable in his surroundings, he has experienced so many things that I wished he hadn't but he came out the wiser for it. He's a smart buddy and I love him more than you can imagine..this is why I will continue let him be free.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (07-21-2015), PlaxMacaws (07-21-2015)

Parrots

Yes, Mare... typically no situation is perfect. There are usually always drawbacks or risks

13. The following user likes this post:

Mare (07-21-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

So true . When I get up in the morning, I count my blessings and continue to continue!.. What else can you do?!
    Last edited by Mare; 07-21-2015 at 02:47 AM.

15. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (07-21-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Wonder when man first began to cage birds for their own pleasure rather then letting them fly free.

17. The following user likes this post:

Mare (07-21-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Good question, Dianne! My guess would be...in the time of kings that wanted beauty caged for their entertainment.

19. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (07-21-2015), spiritbird (07-21-2015)