User Tag List

Thread: Patiently Waiting

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Patiently Waiting

Tango came from the breeder with clipped wings. So I clipped Kobe so they matched ability. His flying was scaring her. Now they are almost cage bound until the flights grow back. I have a play gym on cage top but when I let them out to go there both of them end up jumping or falling to the floor. Kobe is an immediate escape artist and runs so fast underneath the furniture. Tango not so much and I can usually catch her. Don't want them on the floor because Linnies poop so much, so often. I've been saying my prayers for the flights to grow back in fast! I look at them every day and see no changes. Made my own egg food to possible enhance growth. So most of a day they are in the cage and get quite restless. THEY NEED TO FLY and work off that Linnie energy. Does anyone have any ideas or magic potion to make feathers grow faster? Must I continue to wait patiently? I know the answer to that YES I do.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Aww Dianne, I agree with your answer to just having to wait patiently. I remember you speaking of using your bathroom for something to do with the birds in the past. Would it make a good place to put the beautiful custom stand you had made so they have a place to exercise and you can catch them easily? Maybe in the tub???

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    That is a good idea. Have a walk in shower, no tub so I can put it there.

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Hopefully they will grow their flights back soon but it usually happens when they moult. They do need to burn off some energy and physical energy is good to promote healthy feather growth. I'd bird safe your bathroom and stick their stand in there and let them go crazy for a couple of hours. They can't run under anything or get into much trouble, just cover your mirror so they don't go near it.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Took them in the bathroom with the stand today. They were very frightened and did not move around much or want to interact with me. I think this is because they have become so used to being in the cage where it is safe. Also they cannot fly away. Maybe I should be doing this every day but not sure.

6. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (06-18-2015)

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Took them in the bathroom with the stand today. They were very frightened and did not move around much or want to interact with me. I think this is because they have become so used to being in the cage where it is safe. Also they cannot fly away. Maybe I should be doing this every day but not sure.

I would do it every day, get them use to the place. Have some music on so they can hear other sounds outside the bathroom as bathrooms tend to be quiet and echo-y which might nerve them a bit.

Let them get use to the idea of the place.

8. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (06-18-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh I'm glad you tried it and I think that they will get comfortable and will in a week or so become comfortable. It's like you said, its not known to them as a safe place yet. New sights, smells and noises. Keep us posted on how things go.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks I will.