User Tag List

Thread: I could use a bit of help.

Parrots

Cockatiels

Question I could use a bit of help.

I need a little bit of help with my cockatiels. If anyone could answer, I would greatly appreciate it!

First some background. I have two birds, one named boxy and the other named Rosemary. I have had Boxy longer, almost a year, and I have had Rosemary for about a month. Rosemary was hand raised, and Boxy was not. I keep them in separate cages in my room.

My issues are as follows:
    Boxy is still essentially a feathered ball of fear and rage, and I cannot even get close to him without him hissing at me and trying to bite me. My parents want me to just give him back to the pet store, but I don't think that that's right to do. What can I do?

Rosemary was alright with me for the first couple of weeks, but now she is afraid of me. She moves away whenever I get near to her, and won’t let me feed or touch her. She knows how to step up, and will if she cannot get back to her cage, but will launch as soon as her cage is in sight. She will come out of her cage only if I open the door and move away. Any time I talk to her or get near, her crown is always high. How can I remedy this?

Also, just generally, what are some toys and treats that ‘tiels like? I want to spruce up their cages a bit and find treats they’ll get excited about. Rosemary seems to like millet, but not as much as she seems to fear my hand.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Welcome Hugo. When birds feel fear it usually means they are not used to us humans. First thing I would change is the location of where the birds live in your room. They do better when they are around their flock, meaning your family. Can you move them to a more central location? So let's start over again as if the birds have never seen you. In order to get them to trust you they need to see you several times a day, hear you talking to them. Birds like silliness so sing and dance to music while they watch you. Reading to them is good too. Make no fast movements while you are with them. Offer treats through the cage such as a millet spray. Teach them good things come in human hands. Most important to be patient with them. It can take a long time to get a bird to trust. How big are your cages and what are you feeding them? There are good books at your library on Cockatiels. Joining this forum is a good first step.
    Learn about how wild cockaties live and eat. That way you will understand their needs.

They love to have their head scratched when you get that far. They love to fly but first make your home safe for flying. Have a place for them to land. I always start a new bird in the bathroom because it's fairly safe for them to fly there. Are the wings clipped? Find an avian vet because our birds need heath care and nail trims.

You can learn to make toys if you want. Birds love to shred toys and destroy toys. Know not all toys are safe. Have natural wood perches for them. Study the unsafe things in a birds life like wall mirrors, open windows, several foods, non stick cookware, sprays in the air, candles, cigarette smoke, other pets like dogs and cats and so much more. I recommend a book called Cockatiels for Dummies. I read that book several times. Keep coming back to us and there is no such thing as a stupid question. When your birds feel safe they will respond to your efforts. More members will help you too.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 06-02-2015 at 03:20 AM.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (06-02-2015), plax (06-02-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Last edited by spiritbird; 06-02-2015 at 03:31 AM.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (06-02-2015), Mare (06-02-2015), plax (06-02-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Hello, Hugo! Welcome! That's some great advice from Dianne . I have a cockatiel, he's been with us for a few years. He was found outside, lost, hungry and looking to be friendly just long enough so's he could get a good meal. He is now part of our flock, is free to fly all day, (we keep his cage door open, always), and doing well but has never been friendly towards hands, that's ok with us..we love him anyway. He's a character that likes to sing and be boisterous, he will fly to my shoulder but won't let me touch him with my hand. He is very curious about my glasses and will nibble on them.

My advice to you would be to just act normal around your birds and don't force yourself upon them, that will make them leery/cautious of you. I think with time they will warm up to you, you may not ever be their one and only because they will now have each other but I think they will acclimate to you and who knows..?..you may end up with some serious bird love!!

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (06-02-2015), plax (06-02-2015), spiritbird (06-02-2015)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    As Dianne said, it takes a lot of patience (it was a year before Casper decided he could trust me) and you need to spend a lot of time giving your birds attention. They like to be where things are going on, where people can say hello and stuff as they pass the cage and being flock feeders in the wild they are delighted to be able to eat their food at the same time and in the same room as you.
    Biting you is a bit of a game for them, so you have to keep very calm when they do. If they don't get a response to it they will eventually give up doing it. They know exactly how hard to bite to make you bleed (or not) and once you find they are biting without drawing blood you will be well on the way to being very good friends.
    Don't be surprised or upset if one of your birds decides that another one of your family is their best friend, just be happy that they are making friends and that they will get around to you sooner or later.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 4 users like this post:

Lady (06-02-2015), Mare (06-02-2015), plax (06-02-2015), spiritbird (06-02-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Hugo are you still with us?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Hugo ,

Thanks for giving us some background about your birds. Everyone has given you great advice and if your like most folks (me included) you just want to do whatever it takes to show them your going to take good care of them. It truly takes time to trust. I've had my Lady for a long time and there are still some things she chooses not to do even tho we have a good relationship. Remember birds are individuals and what one allows, another might not, then again they may in the future. I think spending as much time watching them and learning their body language is a good place to start along with reading as much as you can. It is a good idea to go slowly after all, we are giants compared to them. They watch us too to see what we are doing even when we're not looking. Clicker training is a nice approach as well, ever heard of it?

Treats and toys are somewhat easy, but they too are something that a bird usually has to get use to seeing before they think it is safe to get near it let alone touch it. Then again some birds will want to check it out almost right away. So you see it is a lot of work but, it's rewarding once things begin to come around. Toys need to be introduced from a distance and moved closer and closer day by day till they are comfortable with seeing that it isn't going to hurt them.
    Best of luck and keep posting.
    BTW, I forgot to mention that we like pics if you happen to feel like posting a few of Boxy and Rosemary~

12. The following user likes this post:

plax (06-03-2015)