User Tag List

Thread: New Home Needed for Blue Front Amazon

New Home Needed for Blue Front Amazon

With a heavy heart, I need to find a new home for my beloved Blue Front Amazon. She is a wonderful bird and rather quiet for an Amazon, but the tone of her voice and my spouse don't agree with each other and it's become too stressful for all involved. We've tried for over a year to see if he could adapt to her sound, since he is used to other birds and enjoys our other five, but something about the tone of her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to him.

It's not fair for anyone, since it's hurting him and her both -- she gets less time out of cage to be boisterous as amazons like to do. I love her (and the husband) so I think this is best option. (I can't rehome my spouse after all!)

She is 12 years old, close banded. She is not DNA sexed, however all behavior leads me to believe the bird is female, short of laying an egg. She is not aggressive; I've only been bitten twice and both times were totally my fault and I can give details. She can step up and down, but is afraid of stick step up. She doesn't talk, though she mumbles and makes some adorable whistles and robot noises. She is used to dogs, cats and other birds and is rather submissive toward other birds (my small conure actually scares her a little.) She is also been around small children, although she hasn't stepped up with a child, I think she would be fine with older children. She is a very picky eater, which is a bit weird for an Amazon but I think if there were other large birds for her to watch, she might get the idea. She does really enjoy sprouted seeds and almonds. She does enjoy dried hot peppers, dehydrated veggies (sometimes) and raisins when she's in the mood. She will eat natural and fruit Zupreem to some extent. She was underweight when I adopted her when she was fed expensive pellets she refused to eat, so she does eat a seed heavy diet now to keep her at a normal weight.

Like all Amazons, she is prone to being a one person bird, but with attention, I expect she would be fine with several people. She doesn't appear to have a preference for men or women.

$300 rehoming fee includes the bird and white cage, 36x24x60. She also has a basket she loves that I use as a playtop for the cage and can be used as a traveling stand. I will include that as well if you want it. The rehome fee is totally negotiable and only exists to make sure someone has the means to care for her.

We are in eastern Wisconsin and I won't ship her.

In a perfect world, I would ask that you come meet the bird before deciding, but could take her home right away if you hit it off. The cage doesn't like to come apart completely, but it will fit in a minivan if the seats fold down.

However, if the right home is out there, I could probably meet someone on the road.

I just want to make sure I can find her a home where she will be loved and can be herself, which includes daily Amazon jungle noises. I have lots of pictures I can share if anyone is interested.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hello Sad Bird,
    Welcome to PP, although I'm sure it would be much more exciting if it was under other circumstances. It is sad that you have to re-home your Amazon. I hope you find the right family for her. I also hope to see some pics of her as well as the rest of your flock and look forward to hearing about them too.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Sorry you need to do the re home. I suggest you try other forums too. Also try Avian Avenue.

4. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (05-12-2015)