User Tag List

Thread: How do I tame my Lovebird? (hand-raised)

Parrots

Masked Lovebird (Skittles)

Unhappy How do I tame my Lovebird? (hand-raised)

Hi everyone, I have recently become a member to educate myself further in all aspects of keeping a pet bird. I have always been fascinated by birds, but more specifically by parrots. I have spent many years bird watching in the rainforests and bushlands of Australia photographing many different species. In the past six months I have been researching different parrot species to gather information for the most suitable match for a 'first time' bird owner. All research narrowed down to three parrots based on my living situation and lack of experience in bird keeping. They were Budgies, lovebirds or cockatiels. I decided to buy a hand-raised masked lovebird from a pet store three weeks ago and I'm looking for some reliable sources of information (particular with taming and trust issues) that will help Skittles and I become better friends. Much of the information on different web pages and youtube videos are conflicting, and it's hard to choose the most effective methods.

I bought Skittles from a pet store that claimed he/she was hand-raised (I'll refer to Skittles as male due to so-called expert opinions, however he has not been tested). The pet store owner mentioned that he was put in a cage with one of his siblings for three months after he was hand-raised, with little human interaction or handling. I was assured by the pet store that he may be a little 'skittish' at first, but should eventually calm down as it was hand-raised. I know it's only been three weeks but I am noticing some behavioural problems and I am worried that I am causing bad habits to develop, apart from the lack of interaction he received at the pet store. He has never bitten me or lunged forward at the sight of my hand until a couple of days ago. The time he is most nippy is when he is in his cage nest and sees my hand approach him, but even then he usually just opens his beak and rarely bites. At first he would lightly nibble out of curiosity, but now he's putting some force into it. When he has bitten, I haven't pulled away or yelled at him. When I have him out of the cage, he looks as though he is frantically pacing back and forth looking for his cage.

I often sit his cage on the back deck to give him some fresh air and he seems to be more active when he's outside. I have wild rainbow lorikeets that come into the backyard to feed on the bottlebrush tree, Skittles gets excited when he hears them and starts to chirp along. Am I damaging my relationship with Skittles by sitting him outside to interact and sing with other birds? If he is hungry he will eat from my hand, but otherwise he wants nothing to do with me. Is there a reliable bird taming book or program that I can follow? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kieran

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Kieran,
    Welcome to the forum, how wonderful that you have joined us.
    I can surely understand about the conflicting information all over the net, but there are questions that come to mind about how you started your journey with Skittles.

How much time did you give Skittles to get use to his new environment when you first brought him home? Once he settled in and became a bit secure there, how did you introduce yourself to him? Did you spend time next to his cage or in a relatively close area to the cage and talk with him so he could get use to your voice? How do you approach his cage when you give him food and water and clean it? What are things like at your house, is there much activity that he may be a bit nervous about?

There is so much to know, so maybe you could tell us just what the bad habits are that you think you may be encouraging, and how you may be encouraging them? Unless you mean by letting him hang out and respond to the wild birds? I'm no expert but I don't think that would be a bad thing.

Parrots

Masked Lovebird (Skittles)
    Hey Lady, Thank you for your quick reply.

When I first brought him home it was about four days I let him get used to the new environment before I tried to start handling him. I would only approach his cage to change food and water and start talking to him for brief moments. On the fifth day onwards my wife and I have tried to handle him a couple times a day for 20 minute intervals. He seems very attached to his cage and obviously feels safe there. My wife constantly talks to him, although I could probably spend more time talking to him at his cage. My house is relatively quiet as it is just my wife and I here, so there isn't a lot of activity going on that could spook him. We have tried to interact with him outside of his cage with the TV going. I understand this could be a distraction, but this is another piece of conflicting information from the net.

I guess there's no bad habit as such, but a lack of trust that is becoming more obvious as he has started to bite. I can only put this down to something I am doing wrong. I haven't spoken to him harshly for biting. I'm just happy we started out with a small parrot, because I could only imagine a much bigger bird could do some damage and it would be a lot harder for me to not pull my hand away.

I think he had about 3 months to bond with another lovebird in the pet store, so I'm wondering if he sees me as a threat or dislikes me because his bird friend is gone. He is still very young and cautiously eats from my hand when he's hungry so it's not all bad. I've looked into clicker training but I think I need him to be more comfortable with my hands before I advance to that stage.

Parrots

Sully, BB, Scooter, Rosie, and Gadget- Green Cheek Conures Fly free Bella, you will be forever loved
    Biting is not necessarily something bad. Parrots use their beaks to test objects to see if they are sturdy enough to perch on. Often times the object they are testing is your hands. If he is just testing your hand then he should only bite once then step on, but if he is actually trying to hurt you then he will continue to bite down and will push your hand away. Now, how you respond to this is crutial, you must not make a noise in pain or pull away as that will only make him think you aren't a good perch and that you are easily manipulated. When he bites then best response is to push your hand slightly towards him which usually causes them to step up. If he steps up and continues to bite then a slight rock of your wrist should stop him. Just make sure you don't cause him to fall off, the aim of rocking your wrist is just to cause him to come off balance and stop biting. However, if he is truly trying to hurt you(which he shouldn't be if he really was hand-raised), then he will continue to bite harder and harder until you let him go, he may even bite you while flying. I know first hand what it is like to be bit by both testy "teens" and untame parrots. Their biting styles are totally different. The testy "teens" just give test bites to get a reaction from you, like a true teenager. The untame ones however will bite hard and WILL draw blood.

There is good news though, it is much easier to tame a parrot that bites, than it is a parrot that runs away in fear.
    The problem with internet quotes, is that you can't always depend on their accuracy.
    -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (04-29-2015), plax (04-30-2015)

Parrots

White Faced Cockatiel - Riley. Heavy Pied Cockatiel - Carolina
    Just because a bird was hand raised doesn't mean they were given the time and interaction it takes to tame them especially in pet store birds. Yesterday I got bit by my new tiel and had he bit just slightly harder I would have been bleeding. So even semi tame birds can do damage.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (04-29-2015), plax (04-30-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Boy I'm glad others are chiming in as I have issues with my baby as well. I can get her to step onto my arm but just one foot. She has been doing this for months and I can not get her to use both feet yet. She will back away even if I have her favorite treat or toy. She is a perch potato as Spiritbird would say. My Lady is happy enough just to watch the world around her from her cage.

Kieran, I think it just takes lots of time and patience and learning their body language. Sounds like you did the right things in the beginning and maybe Skittles just needs more time. Target training with a clicker is good to try and I plan on working more with my Lady at it. As far as bonding to the other bird, well, I suppose it's possible but I don't know if it would of been a bond for life, but maybe he does miss having another bird around. I think he will learn that you and your wife are his new flock and will come around as you keep working with him.

9. The following user likes this post:

plax (04-30-2015)