User Tag List

Thread: wood branch perches

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon

wood branch perches

I really want to start using natural wood branch perches. Not really sure if we can afford them at the pet stores. Does anyone have info on what type of wood I could find to use and how will I be able to make it bird safe from parasites or germs from the wild????? Really want a more natural environment for my 3 cages and birds . also any one looking to sell older cages they don't need let me know!! It will be for budgies and lovebirds....thanks!
    I will get shipping! And price for cage. Will have to do it at first of month.

Parrots

Sully, BB, Scooter, Rosie, and Gadget- Green Cheek Conures Fly free Bella, you will be forever loved
    My conures LOVE the cholla perches I made for them. I just stopped on the side of the road in Arizona and picked up a large, dead cholla cactus and took it home. I submerged individual branches in the tub with GSE and water for 24 hours to kill everything. I left them out in the sun to dry after. Then I put large bolts through the ends to attach to the cages. My conures love to pick at the perches and stash food in the holes(which can be messy).

P.S. Make sure the cholla is dead before you pick it up, they are covered in spines and are nasty to grab while still alive.
    The problem with internet quotes, is that you can't always depend on their accuracy.
    -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I searched the net and there is good information out there to answer your question and plenty to read. For whatever reason I liked this link the best atm.

http://www.beautyofbirds.com/safewoods.html

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    I'm so lucky to be able to walk outside and grab new branches as needed.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Willow is supposed to be a favourite because the bark comes off nicely when a beak is applied. I think you have to tell them not to do it for them to get the full enjoyment out of it.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Thank you Alice! Great information .......

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Willow is nice for the small birds. I did gather some that were nice and curved, put them through the cleaning process and put them in the cage secured with zip ties. Very easy. I got the branches from the tree instead of off the ground. Of course if you go branch hunting best time is right after a storm. I hope you show us photos of what you make.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Steve, you truly are!

Jean Pierre, hahaha your so right, how much more interesting is it to touch something that we and or they, are not supposed to.

Charlie, glad to of helped. I too would like to see what you find and use for new perches. If only we could make or pick cages so easily. Now that would be something.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I use oak with my birds. I live in California and my cockatoos have no problem with the oak and manzanita on our property.