User Tag List

Thread: palm type plant

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon

palm type plant

Are palm plants safe for birds??? Sorry I ask all these questions ! Just trying to learn all I can !!!!

Parrots

Sully, BB, Scooter, Rosie, and Gadget- Green Cheek Conures Fly free Bella, you will be forever loved
    I know palm nuts are, wild Hyacinths love them. Other than that, I'm not sure.

There is no such thing as too many questions.
    The problem with internet quotes, is that you can't always depend on their accuracy.
    -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

3. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-15-2015), wingman (04-15-2015)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    There are many species of palm trees and plants in the world. Therefore it's not a good idea to generalize. And using the term "plants" is quite general as well. The nuts or "fruit" of certain palms would be a better thing to ask about. Several palm nut types are quite nutritious for psittacine birds, as long as they are provided in moderation. With certain parrot species, palm nuts actually serve as a main staple of their natural diet - as is the case with the Hyacinth Macaw (as Chris mentioned). It's important to acknowledge, however, that palm nuts are typically high in saturated fats. That makes them probably not the best choice as a regular dietary element for certain psittacine species.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    Some palm species of house plants are said to be non toxic if a bird was to ingest them. My problem with such studies/ comments, the studies are usually done on humans or a body weighed in pounds. Hardly ever did they do these studies for toxicity on something weighed in grams. I have a few house plants around the birds, but not within distance of eating them. One I can mention is the "Parlor Palm" I believe is the name of the ones I have.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    We have Palm trees in our yard, I believe they are "Washington" palms. Amigo has tasted every part, I don't think he swallows it, from the palm frond, the spines along the arm of the frond, to the meaty flesh of the arm, (he will sometimes chew a whole frond off)..it hasn't bothered him one bit. We also have a date palm that he likes to, once in a while, climb around in and bite off all the spines along the arms of the fronds, no problem. Ornamental palms may be different, I might be cautious there.