User Tag List

Thread: Can a canary be kept alone?

Parrots

Yellow sided green cheek

Can a canary be kept alone?

Or do they need to be in pairs like budgies?

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    I have had canaries that are kept alone because they where mate killers and given up for that reason. I'd say if kept alone another small bird should be caged near it so they can communicate. I don't believe they have to have a cage mate, but a friend is always great for little birds like canaries that typically don't get handled by humans or form bonds with humans( not saying it doesn't happen it just doesn't happen often, and takes a long time to form the bond with these smaller finches/canaries). as well budgies do not need to be kept in pairs, neither do lovebirds or cockatiels. Many people just choose to and sometimes it can be worse for a bond to form.

3. The following user likes this post:

StitchynMe (04-01-2015)

Parrots

Yellow sided green cheek
    Thanks! I really like the singing of the canary, so calming and pleasant sounding. I think the red factor ones are just beautiful!

5. The following user likes this post:

jtbirds (04-01-2015)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    They are beautiful and the sounds are very tranquil! I have had a few red factors come into the rescue and they are brilliant!

7. The following user likes this post:

StitchynMe (04-01-2015)

Parrots

Yellow sided green cheek
    I've seen photos of the frosted red factor and I think they are even more beautiful! I've seen some looking for a rehome on Craigslist a few days ago but I also seen some at the pet store where the Rosella was. They were selling them there for $145! Blows my mind that a little canary can cost so much! I suppose it must have to do with the coloring?

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-01-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I love the sound canaries make. I haven't heard one since childhood but have fond memories of my mom's canaries. My dream has always been to have a big cage with maybe six finches. Their little peeps are so soothing to me

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Abby (04-02-2015), StitchynMe (04-02-2015)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    When I was a small child I had a yellow canary called Pip. My sister had budgies (one at a time) but they didn't seem to last very long. Pip used to sing beautifully and lived to a grand old age. There was no internet then and we just thought of them as pretty things in a cage that you had to feed and water every day and clean out every couple of days - and occasionally, if you remembered on a nice day, put their cage out in the garden with the bird-bath clipped over the door.
    Only since Casper came to live with us have I realised what individual characters all birds have.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following user likes this post:

StitchynMe (04-02-2015)

Parrots

Yellow sided green cheek
    I was reading on some site that loud noises can give them a heart attack which is kind of worrisome, I wonder how they fair during thunderstorms? Are they that fragile? Also, prone to various mite infections I read.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Our one must have been pretty bombproof living with two kids and an alsation (german shepherd dog).
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

16. The following user likes this post:

StitchynMe (04-03-2015)

Parrots

Spanish Timbrado, Bourke's Parakeet, Indian Ringneck, Congo African Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchynMe View Post
    I was reading on some site that loud noises can give them a heart attack which is kind of worrisome, I wonder how they fair during thunderstorms? Are they that fragile? Also, prone to various mite infections I read.
    This is about the sound and not the mites. I have had a canary for 6 years now and I have never had sound problems with him. I've had some loud thunderstorms around our house and he's never had any problems. I wouldn't be worried much.

18. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-24-2020)