User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bok Choy, bean sprouts, spinach and other green veggies

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

Bok Choy, bean sprouts, spinach and other green veggies

Good day everyone,

Yesterday my gf and I went to a Asian market to look and purchase some fresh veggies. What I got was some baby bok choy, bean sprouts, spinach, peas, beans, Chinese cabbage (which I think is just large boy choy), mint, parsley, and some hot peppers.

Now Some of this is intended for Lady, but in reality some has to be for us too because it will go bad long before she can eat it all.

Any good recipes or web sites would be appreciated. It is difficult to buy for just one bird as the quantities are for more than one. I hope to be visiting this market more often since it is fairly close to where I work. I am planning on taking my camera or use the cell to get pics of other veggies as I am not familiar on how to cook or serve them, or even what some of them are called. They have some english name labels but not many.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00594.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	2766
    Last edited by Lady; 03-28-2015 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Bok not Boy, lol

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-28-2015)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    bean sprouts are great in stir fry!

4. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-28-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Don't you just LOVE those Asian markets?! They are so different from American grocery stores, in a very good way! Almost everything you bought would be excellent in a stir fry, I don't know about the parsley, though. I've found some fabulous recipes on Pinterest. There is a little box that you can type in what you may be interested in. Google is great, too. If you google say, recipes using Bok choy, you would be amazed what comes up!

6. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-28-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Well tonight I did make a stir fry and it came out pretty nice. I should of took a pic but I wasn't thinking about it till now. Lady wouldn't touch the parsley when I hung it in her cage. When dinner was ready I put some raw bok choy and bean sprouts along with some steamed snow peas and she tasted everything but chose the peas more than the others.

Mare, I really enjoyed the market and plan on going again to learn how to cook with some of the veggies, once I find out what they are and their nutritional value as well. The internet is very useful, I typed asian vegetables and found a small list with pictures as well as information . I'm going to attach the link in case anyone is interested.http://www.epicurious.com/archive/se...deasianproduce

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    Veggies are the best!

9. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-29-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Great info, Alice! My family and I are lovers of Thai cuisine. I've dabbled in trying to replicate some of our favorites in the restaraunt we visit but, I'm a dismal failure . ...and that's with following recipes! I keep bugging the chef at this restaraunt to start give cooking classes. He says if he wasn't so busy, he might think about it

11. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-29-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I shop at an Asian market once in a while and prices are so much lower there. Your stir fry smells good!

13. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-29-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Mare,

When you have free time, show up in his kitchen and watch him do his magic, ask questions and even video if he would allow it. I had a friend who makes delicious spring egg rolls and has showed me more than once, but they never taste as good as hers!

Dianne,
    Oh the smell was delightful, garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame seed oil and the veggies all came together nicely with a little rice vinegar. Just hope I can make it as well next time I try it. I like to cook on the fly, so to speak, but I do search the internet for ideas to assist me on my adventures in the kitchen. I use what I have on hand most of the time if not of course I have to improvise until I make it enough that it becomes familiar.

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    I shop weekly at Asian markets , they have so many other veggies the birds can eat.

16. The following user likes this post:

Lady (04-04-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Oh great, maybe if you would, ( I would be grateful ) could you post some pictures of some of the veggies you get and identify them so I can make informed choices on what some of them are? I did find a image list of some of the common ones but others are a mystery to me. Do you also have any easy recipes (or a good website) for those of us who don't know how to incorporate them in our human diet?

Thank you~