User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flight feather loss

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Dianne: My B&G, Jack, has been plucking his feathers on his upper wings, as well as under his wings, ever since Maynard (my MM) rejected him when I brought Zaf home in 2005. He doesn't pluck as badly these days... but he still does so on occasion. When he extends his wings I can see light passing through the plucked areas.

Habitual plucking in response to devastation can be a very difficult thing to get beyond. But this doesn't mean it's not possible to overcome in some cases. Each bird's situation is different... just as each bird is different. My suggestion for you is to continue with your research and to keep trying different things.

I'm sorry that you and Daisy are faced with this disturbing condition
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (04-05-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Daisy has never been a bird that likes toys or other chew items. About the only thing she loves to chew on besides her feathers is the edge of a wooden platform perch. Today I was watching her carefully for any indications of plucking behavior. Also watching for any feather fall. I kept her distracted by taking her out of the cage, feeding millet and letting her interact with Kobe. Its evening now and I think she has not plucked all day. I am going to add milk thistle to her drinking water just in case this is itching from liver issues.

4. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (04-08-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I would say the course of Baytril the vet put Daisy on has been effective. She no longer is chewing her flight feathers or pulling out upper wing feathers. To me that means it was either hormonal or infective process.

6. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (04-14-2015)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Good girl Daisy - she obviously decided the punk look didn't suit her. Casper's tail feather situation is still dynamic. New ones are growing but shed one at the weekend which i think was moulted and has another one that needs to come out because it is loose which could have been the result of a crash landing. It hurts him when he shakes his tail or knocks it against anything, so I am not sure whether we should pluck it out (which I have never done so am reluctant to try) or leave it for him to sort out. What do you think?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Casper's tail feather situation is still dynamic. New ones are growing but shed one at the weekend which i think was moulted and has another one that needs to come out because it is loose which could have been the result of a crash landing. It hurts him when he shakes his tail or knocks it against anything, so I am not sure whether we should pluck it out (which I have never done so am reluctant to try) or leave it for him to sort out. What do you think?
    I would opt for leaving it alone. If it's loose it should either fall out on its own or be helped out by Casper, himself. Loosened non blood feathers generally pose little to no danger. That's unless your bird is afraid of them like Zaffer

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I would say the course of Baytril the vet put Daisy on has been effective. She no longer is chewing her flight feathers or pulling out upper wing feathers. To me that means it was either hormonal or infective process.
    Great to hear, Dianne
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-14-2015), spiritbird (04-14-2015)

Parrots

Thanks Tony, he's a bit grumpy and sorry for himself but hasn't made any attempt to address the situation.

11. The following user likes this post:

plax (04-14-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

It must not bother him then. I would leave it also. It will eventually fall out

13. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-14-2015)

Parrots

It is bothering him because he 'growls' whenever it touches against anything. Perhaps he doesn't want to fiddle with it because it is hurting and is waiting for it to come out on its own. In the mean time Margaret is wearing her warning T-shirt

Mean green and moulting by DSdriver, on Flickr

15. The following 5 users like this post:

cdog (04-15-2015), kendrafitz (04-14-2015), Lady (04-14-2015), plax (04-14-2015), wingman (04-24-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Glad Daisy is coming along. As for Casper, maybe it's tender from the crash landing, poor baby~

17. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-15-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Nice shirt. You can cut the tail feather shorter if he lets you. May bother him less.