User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight feather loss

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    That does look like a snipped feather, Dianne. Jean-Pierre could be right, though, Daisy may have chewed it after it fell out, my birds have been known to do that. Let us know what the vet says

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    She has so many feathers falling but I never see her chewing any.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    It sounds like a heavy molt, to me. Chip did that about a year and a half ago, feathers everywhere! When he grew back, he was more beautiful than ever!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Let's hope it is just a molt, no need to worry till you get the doctors opinion.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Vet visit today. I can tell you it is not a molt because the feathers are all coming off one side and not the other. Will let you know what vet thinks is happening or not happening.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I will be waiting to hear, best wishes to you!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Now her chewing has blown into plucking. She is plucking her feather higher up around the shoulder area, mostly the darker ones but I am also finding lots of blue ones on the cage floor. I am totally distressed because this is all my fault. Vet and I both think it is the stress of Kobe being here because the feather loss began about the time he arrived. I really do not think she is as sick as the vet did. She is never short of breath at home like she was in his office. Been looking into getting a collar for her but that is like a band aid not a solution. If you look closely at the photo you can see how she is gradually removing feather from the shoulder area and the flight feathers are mostly gone. Both sides pretty much look the same. Please offer any suggestion you can think of. Anyone have first hand experience with birds and collars?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pluck 003.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	2802

Last edited by spiritbird; 04-04-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Rt. side photo not as clear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pluck 004.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	2803

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

We haven't needed anything like this for Casper and I am unsure about homeopathy but I am impressed by the before and after drawings.
    Has anyone tried it?

*other products to discourage plucking are available like:

Versele-Laga No Pick - 100ml - Deters Chewing by Birds
    Price Match
    Bitter tasting liquid that you can spray on to the bird's feathers

That one is much cheaper which may or may not be a good thing.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 04-05-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Another product added
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thank you Jean-Pierre for your ideas. I have ordered two different styles of collars. Someone on that other forum wrote their budgie will chew flight feathers off when she is hormonal which Daisy is right now. My goal is to keep her safe when she tries to fly. She can fly a couple of feet and then goes to ground. Time will tell what is going on with her.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-05-2015), kendrafitz (04-08-2015)