User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riley is getting a new playstand

Parrots

White Faced Cockatiel - Riley. Heavy Pied Cockatiel - Carolina

Riley is getting a new playstand

This weekend I will be building a play stand for Riley. The materals used will be untreated square pine dowels, zip ties, nylon rope and a corkboard base. I am mainly building this play stand because when she is hanging out on her current play stand she just sits in one place which is not the point in having one I also can't hang any toys on it. So due to my being less than impressed with other table top play stands I have decided to build my own I will post pics when it's done. The reason I have chosen the cork board base is that I will be using cage liners on the bottom so that it won't be able to absorb feces. Since Riley only drinks from her water bottle she will be going back into her cage (the play stand will be on top of the cage) to get a drink and back out like she normally does so there's no worry of her tiping over a water dish and she is not one to burrow so I don't have to worry about her burrowing under the liner and chewing up the cork. Before I build it would a cork board be ok to use as a base? I will be making toys out of nylon rope, beads, natural popsicle sticks, wood and plastic toy parts from a couple toy making kits and all new toys will have Rileys favorite thing bells. I will be having places for me to hang about 4 new toys on this playstand as well as a mini cargo net. I know it sounds weird which is why I will be posting pics after it's finished.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I wouldn't know for sure about cork board but sure sounds GOOD to me! I can't wait to see pics!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wonderful that you are customizing a play stand just for Riley, such a good Momma you are to her and the perfect person who knows what she likes.
    I'm not sure about a cork board because I don't know what is used as far as glue, I would imagine wood glue, but that's just my thinking.

I too am excited to see the pics. I'm still working and reworking the net idea for Lady that I got from Dianne, Jean-Pierre and Margaret. I have not found a crochet hook so I have been trying to fashion it by hand and had to start over a few times. Home made is best, it is one of a kind and made with love .

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-22-2015), Mare (02-21-2015)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    That sounds like a very nice project, Robyn. Hopefully Riley will make good use of it once you're finished putting it together. Most sources report that cork is safe around companion birds. As Alice mentioned, the glue bonding the cork particles may be a concern in some cases. But I think it would likely be difficult to determine which bonding agents a manufacturer may have used. As long as Riley doesn't chew on the stuff it will probably be fine.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Abby (04-14-2015), Lady (02-21-2015), Mare (02-21-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Alice, now that you mentioned it, crocheting with just your finger does work pretty darn well! The kids and I've made dog blankets with that method..use your finger as the hook

8. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-21-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh Mare,
    I've been trying and I guess I'm a bit to picky because I have taken it apart four times today alone, I just can't seem to get it as straight or square as I want it. I think once I try again, however it turns out is what I'm going to stick with, straight or not. I surely am no machine and it doesn't have to be perfect. I might even make a tool out of a paper clip because my fingers are beginning to hurt.

Parrots

White Faced Cockatiel - Riley. Heavy Pied Cockatiel - Carolina
    I already know mines not going to be straight but I'm sure Riley isn't going to mind if its straight or not she will just enjoy something to climb on and play with.

11. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-22-2015)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I would have thought that there is a difference between chewing stuff and spitting it out (shredding) and chewing and swallowing.
    Casper does a lot of shredding of cardboard and wood which we don't mind as long it is not part of the furniture or house. He knows what is naughty so only does that when he is attention seeking.
    Chewing at the paintwork on the house is definitely a nono, not because we are houseproud, but ours is a very old house and a lot of the old paint below the new stuff must contain lead.
    [offtopicramble]
    Visitors say our house has lots of character. I have come to the conclusion that the definition of character is: at least a hundred years of bodging. In our case three hundred years so trying to work out what has happened is quite interesting. We are just looking after it for the next generation who will make more changes just as I have.
    [/offtopicramble]

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    I would have thought that there is a difference between chewing stuff and spitting it out (shredding) and chewing and swallowing.
    There is. But certain birds are prone to swallow some of their shreddings. Veterinarians occasionally have to remove cloth fiber masses from the crops of parrots. Have a look at this thread: http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...ll=1#post46239
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    You suggest that there is no easy way of knowing whether your bird has one of these impactions. Casper does sometimes act as though he is yawning. Would that be relevant or is he just... yawning. His weight is pretty constant.