User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Makes Me Sick

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

This Makes Me Sick

This seller on EBAY is selling bird pelts. Claims the birds all died naturally but like people don't birds have dignity? Please feel free to file a complaint about this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jtvfeather/m...p2047675.l2562

http://ocs.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReportItemMember

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/wildlife.html
    Last edited by spiritbird; 01-20-2015 at 04:14 AM.

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (01-20-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Ewww..

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Man has long practiced morbid exploitation of animals for pleasure and prosper. Thankfully some of us feel as disgusted by such conduct as we do, Dianne. But sadly, many humans don't seem to have a problem with it. They somehow feel that animals are not sentient, pain feeling beings; they think that non-human species are merely here for us to dominate and destroy at will. Folks of that mindset simply have no empathy! In my opinion they are mentally flawed (be it from an innate or a learned cause) and I'm convinced that more often than not such individuals perpetuate said flaw to their progeny. Our planet is veritably infested with the like

As for the ebay seller you have highlighted, he has been selling on ebay since 2001 and he boasts a 100% feedback rating. It's truly unfortunate, but I'm sure that any and all complaints would go ignored
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following user likes this post:

94lt1 (01-22-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    We can only try. If enough people complain about something voices will be heard. E bay does not allow dog and cat pelts, why are birds any different?

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    That is absolutely disgusting. Why on earth would anyone even want such a thing? Disturbing.
    Rosie & Kendra

I had seen more recently a pair of Macaw wings up for auction. Was turned off with that. :arghh: I had reported the taxidermy ones I have seen in the past but nothing was ever done so I know they will not do anything about the wing ones and highly doubt they will with these.

At least they will not allow the live birds on there. Just yesterday I reported a pair that were placed for sale and they did take that one down quickly

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (01-20-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I can tell you that as of last night there were 3 different species of Macaw listed in the pelts, including a Hyacinth. Several members on another forum complained about them and this morning all Macaw pelts were not there any more. Unless they were all sold, voices were heard. I wonder where they come from. This person had complaints before that were heard and changes were made, but they are back again. We can also boycott the site and let them know somehow. Of course they make it difficult to even get someone from customer support much less administration.
    Their preferred method of contact is e mail but getting there is difficult. I did manage to find a phone number but it is just a recoding to tell you how to get to customer services which is a maze. Best I can get is their address in case anyone is interested in writing.
    Reach eBay by Postal Mail

• You may also reach eBay via postal mail at:
      2145 Hamilton Ave. #350
      San Jose, CA 95125

Last edited by spiritbird; 01-20-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    We can only try. If enough people complain about something voices will be heard. E bay does not allow dog and cat pelts, why are birds any different?
    You're right. Ebay's rule for animal pelts and parts is as follows:

Not Allowed

• Any part, pelt, or skin from an endangered species. Examples include but are not limited to: elephants, rhinoceros, and tigers.
    • The sale of pelts or items which include the fur from cats or dogs.

It may be possible to highlight the double standard element and use it as an argument within a letter of concern to ebay. But I suspect that their position is to apply stipulation #2 to only cat and dog body part items, regardless of any complaints - I'll address the reason for this below. And I'm as well betting that ebay will respond to any such complaints with a canned explanation that's vague and evasive. However, registering a complaint is something that's certainly worth considering... as futile as such an effort may ultimately be.

Here's my take on a possible reason for the apparent double standard. My suspicion is ebay may have considered the fact that there are so many people in the world with feelings for domestic dogs and cats, that allowing such items to be listed would probably offend a significant proportion of their users, which would equate to reduced corporate profits. Sadly, therefore, the reason that they don't seem to extend this rule to bird body parts may be the same reason we frequently see and hear so many statements similar to: "why would anyone want a bird as a pet?" and "people who have pet birds are weirdos!" My point is that because the number of folks who care about birds and their welfare pales in comparison to the number of folks who care about the welfare of dogs and/or cats -which is a fact of life that's quite disturbing to me- huge operations like ebay aren't likely to include protections for the former within their rules, or enforce any loosely-framed statements of restriction on animal body parts for sale. I think that's terribly unfair and very sad. I also think that with a company like ebay, the only times they are likely to take genuine action on such a matter may be either in response to a government-imposed restriction, or in order to mitigate a demonstrated negative impact upon profit potential. Unfortunately, my suspicion is that's all they're truly concerned with.

In view of the above, while complaints to companies like ebay can certainly be made, communicating the animal abuse factor and thus the need for a prohibition of such morbid practices to our legislators may be the only way to gain any traction toward a solution. However, getting to the point of a favorable result would be a long and tedious process, if it even worked . And complaints made directly to the ebay seller would certainly go ignored since he is obviously void of compassion and highly interested in sustaining his profits. As far as ebay's rule that only disallows listing body parts when they are from cats or dogs, it sets an absolutely horrible double standard! As such, I think that eliciting a response from ebay about that double standard should be the first step. But, again, be prepared for a disappointing response.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (01-20-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Nicely said Tony. We can also boycott the site and let them know somehow.

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    this... Is wrong.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR