User Tag List

Thread: Danger Posed by Fibrous Materials (from toys, rope perches, huts, blankets, etc.)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)

Danger Posed by Fibrous Materials (from toys, rope perches, huts, blankets, etc.)

This warning is from a Facebook post. It highlights the risk of 'fiber globs' (cropoliths) developing over time. They can cause severe complications and even become fatal.

While I was at the vet, the nurse showed me some of the impactions that had been cut out of birds' crops. All from rope and fabric toys including sisal and Seagrass fibres! How scary !!! She showed me some of the toys that were the culprits. Some of them had absolutely no obvious evidence of chewing! Some people gave their birds those dried skin/ meat dog toys that ended up killing the birds. she said the only truly safe "rope" was naturally tanned leather or stainless steel chain).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiber_globs.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	2580
    From: https://www.facebook.com/Itsaconures...731762/?type=1
    I've previously posted a warning on this topic at:
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...ing-Cropoliths
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (01-06-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    OMG! Another problem for caged birds arises. What is the answer?

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    OMG! Another problem for caged birds arises. What is the answer?
    Well, according to the quoted vet, the only safe solution is to use tanned leather or stainless steel chain. And then, of course, it's crucially important to make certain that the exposed lengths are never long enough to wrap around the bird's neck.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (01-06-2015), Mare (01-06-2015)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    I'd suggest stainless steel chain as leather I can't imagine is much better for birds and or for the animals its harvested from.

7. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (01-06-2015)

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    I'm always trying to be cautious with this.. Since Rain is a shredder.. Rice paper was suggested to me.. But I'm not sure how safe that is.. I should ask my vet..

9. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (01-06-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Sassy is a shredder, also. If I use a paper plate with something good like peanut butter and jelly slopped on it, I roll it up, fold in half and slide through Sassy's bars. Keeps her busy for hours. Has anyone heard of that being a bad thing?

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Sassy is a shredder, also. If I use a paper plate with something good like peanut butter and jelly slopped on it, I roll it up, fold in half and slide through Sassy's bars. Keeps her busy for hours. Has anyone heard of that being a bad thing?
    Paper consists of fibers. If she's ingesting it, it's not a good thing

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I just replaced a partially torn bungee rope and the sleep hut with lots of fuzzes. Also the swings in the budgie cage have metal hangers and I noticed some small areas beginning to rust. Not all items meant for bird cages are safe. Thanks for this graphic posting Tony. It sure is a wake up call.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (01-06-2015), plax (01-06-2015)