User Tag List

Thread: Basil, the dog..

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Basil, the dog..

Is..I hate to say it,,but I think she might be mentally challenged, can dogs be this? We had three dogs before another was added, then..my son Noah, brings in this med/large reddish dog, she looks like a pit/lab mix. This makes five. Noah doesn't live with us, he shares a house with some friends. He has a small dog, that he found as a stray, that he's had for a couple years. His friends threw a FIT when he brought home this red dog, that he found running down the highway, that he named Basil, the friends don't like animals to begin with but allowed his little one there. WELL,,Basil ends up here (thanks, Noah), just till Noah can find a place of his own.
    Basil has to be at least eight months old and chews the whooty out of EVERYTHING! Noah had her spayed about two months ago, thankfully. She has totally destroyed three dog beds, the insides spread a quarter mile, at least 20 pair of shoes, her favorites are the rubber flip flops but she's moved into hiking boots. Socks,,OMG, my sock basket has never been this low. She does most of this stuff when we are close but have not caught her in the act. Oh, she gets lots of rawhide chew bones, too.
    This is the "coup de grace"..Yesterday, we brought home the Christmas tree, five feet tall and stood it on the deck till we could be ready to bring it in. I go outside to get it and Basil had drug it OFF the deck, down the drive way, into the lower yard and was chewing it to pieces! No words...
    I understand about separation anxiety, I understand dogs being puppies but I don't understand this girls behavior, it's constant. I'm getting pretty good with a squirt bottle recently, they are AWESOME!

Does anyone else go through this with their dog?

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-16-2014)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Thank you so much for the early morning giggle!

I am sorry you are having such a time with Basil. Poor thing and poor you.

I have Teddy who is challenged, and we had a cat, Rocky who was challenged. Both the sweetest animals I ever met. I am convinced Teddy was dropped on his head, maybe more than once before we got him. (Causing some brain damage) He is terrified of being picked up. He doesn't do anything like Basil. He is just a few beats behind. He responds to Bailey's (our other dog) name as consistently, if not more so as he does his own. He is just a sweet, slow guy. That is until Bailey gets stressed by another dog (which is often as Bailey is super anxious). Then the fool attacks like a small furry squirrel. He has gone after our neighbors goldendoodle for sniffing Bailey. Mind you, the dogs head was the size of Teddys entire body. Thankfully the dog was sweet and just blew dopey Teddy off.

That is the only problem we have with our special guy. He can be hard to read. Which is why I trust him not at all around Rosie. If he thought she was upsetting Bailey I fear he would charge. Ugh.
    Rosie & Kendra

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-16-2014), Mare (12-16-2014)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I understand exactly, we had an Irish Setter which was very intelligent but had a logic all of its own - so typically Irish. One topical example: She saw a gardener in the park planting a row of saplings, went and pulled up the one farthest away and placed it at his feet, then went to get the next one. When she got to him with that one he held on to her until I caught up with them to stop her from fetching any more.
    Later we had a Dalmatian. Dalmatians are known to be intellectually challenged and to suffer from hearing problems. So if you want a dog that's deaf as well as stupid get a dalmatian.

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-17-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh my, this pup need special care. Sounds like you guys have tons of patience. Maybe someone is looking for him? Post a found add on FB?

8. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-17-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Don't EVEN get me going on Dalmations, Jean-Pierre! OMG! I had one when I was younger,, a gift from a thoughtful friend..ugh.. My son did put up posters in regards to finding this lost dog, no response and now I can just imagine/know why!

Kendra, will you trade me? Butt-head actually plucked Amigo out of the sky today, Amigo got away safely but I'm ready to drop her at the humane society. Amigo was coming in to land on his outdoor cage, I was cleaning cages in the bird room and heard a commotion. I turned towards the window to see Basil pouncing on Amigo! My throat still hurts from my screaming. Yeah..bad stuff. My son is heading to Texas at the moment but let me tell you! He is getting an ear full when I talk to him!! He can take his dog back or..she is going to the humane society.
    Last edited by Mare; 12-17-2014 at 01:56 AM.

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    Honestly, I wouldn't wait. I'm like you, I'll take in an animal that I see is in trouble or just needs a good meal. But sometimes they just can't stay. Sometimes they have a personality that I just can't deal with. I would keep her safe in a kennel until you figure out what to do with her. Going after another animal would have been my last straw. Your sons roommates probably had a fit after the first shoe was chewed.
    Ha, those dalmations, they are a trip. Their problem was that they were bred for running beside coaches and that's what they do best. Run!!!.
    Last edited by 2birds; 12-17-2014 at 12:46 PM.

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-17-2014), Lady (12-17-2014), Mare (12-17-2014)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Oh My God!!!!! I cannot even imagine how scary that must have been!! Is Amigo really shaken up? Yup, Basils time at Amigos home is about up I would think. I am so sorry Mare. I am a stressed mess just thinking about it for you all.
    Rosie & Kendra

13. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-18-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Amigo was pretty shaken up but not hurt. My son loves this stupid dog, so does Tim, go figure. Until Noah gets home, I will make sure this doesn't happen again by keeping her in when he's out. Noah needs to do something else with her, though, she's NOT staying here!