User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad news for Rain

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14

Bad news for Rain

It sickens me to be posting this. My baby girl had a seizure about a year ago.. Then another one about 3 weeks ago.. And another one a few days ago. My vet saw her each time. And its not just a seizure issue.. Its due to poor breeding... She has heart and liver issues... Milk thistle and some other mods are being given to her. And we try to keep her from flapping because that's when she has the seizures..

Her diet has always been fresh fruit and vegetables with pellets and seed. And i make sure she gets plenty of light both natural and from full spectrum bulbs..

This just disgusts me.. Infuriates me as well.. She can lead a somewhat normal life.. But I'm going to be selfish and say.. This is a huge hit to me.. We have a really special bond. Don't get me wrong.. I have a bond and a relationship with all of our flock.. But she chose me.. I've helped her back from the brink of death.. And knowing that one of these seizures can kill her at any time.. Really sucks..

So.. Just explaining my absence.. I still lurk. But I'm trying to make sure she's taken care of.. Its one of those... Could be 10 years.. Could be tomorrow, type things..

She's doing really well.. And pulled out of the last 2 seizures within minutes. She's a strong little bird.. She acts normal.. And she's in great health, other than this... Whatever that means...

Anyhow.. The rest of the flock is doing well.. Starburst is a little too fluffy.. And is being made to flap daily.., Monte.. Well.. He's plucking again.. Idk why.. He seems to do this in spurts. It's odd...

Seminole is in heat.. And is quite um...nippy??lol..

Anyhow.. I hope you're all fine.. And I'm still around..

2. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (12-13-2014), Mare (12-13-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Brandon, I'm sorry to know you're going through this stress with Rain. Enjoy her while she's here and please try not to stress, it does neither of you any good. Life is a gift, try to enjoy it.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

94lt1 (12-13-2014), Lady (12-13-2014), spiritbird (12-14-2014)

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    Yeah. It's tuff not to dwell.. I'm doing the best I can.. Staying positive.. And with tlc I hope she'll be around for a while.

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-13-2014)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I am so sorry to read this Brandon. I know how special Rain is to you. All I can say is thank goodness she has you. She picked well. She has someone who does whatever he has to in order to make sure she has a great, healthy life. Not many birds are that lucky!!!
    Rosie & Kendra

8. The following 4 users like this post:

94lt1 (11-16-2015), Lady (12-13-2014), Mare (12-13-2014), spiritbird (12-14-2014)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I am also sorry to hear of this.Sadly sometimes these things can be genetic and sometimes they come from unethical breeders......sometimes theres no reason in a birds past that would indicate its future.That doesnt change any of the reality.Spend all the quality time you can.It sounds like your doing everything right so keep that up.All our best to you both.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

94lt1 (11-16-2015), Lady (12-13-2014), Mare (12-13-2014)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Brandon- I'm so sorry about Rain's seizure condition and I very much empathize with your situation . I know that you're making many memories with her, which is a beautiful thing! I do have one thought that I'm unsure if you've considered... You've mentioned that you use full spectrum lighting for Rain. Are the full spectrum bulbs you're using fluorescent ones? Fluorescent lights flicker at a very high frequency and have been known to trigger seizures in humans afflicted with epilepsy. Here's a discussion thread on the topic: http://www.epilepsy.com/node/968918. Birds can detect/see flickering that's occurring at frequencies beyond what humans are able to detect. Again, I'm just wondering whether or not you've considered this as a possible trigger?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

94lt1 (12-13-2014), Lady (12-13-2014)

Parrots

Good thinking.. We just started using a fluorescent full spectrum.. We were using the regular Incandescent full spectrum bulbs.. But they burned out and we had to replace them.. So.. I wonder if it could trigger seizures... .. But we just started with the fluorescents yesterday..

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    Good thinking.. We just started using a fluorescent full spectrum.. We were using the regular Incandescent full spectrum bulbs.. But they burned out and we had to replace them.. So.. I wonder if it could trigger seizures... .. But we just started with the fluorescents yesterday..
    Well, if you've just changed to fluorescent then it couldn't very well have been the trigger. But you may want to consider switching back to incandescent just in case the fluorescent flicker may trigger her episodes in the future.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

15. The following user likes this post:

94lt1 (12-14-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Im so sorry Brandon I can tell from your post you have quite the bond with her.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

17. The following 2 users like this post:

94lt1 (12-14-2014), plax (12-14-2014)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkbirdy View Post
    Im so sorry Brandon I can tell from your post you have quite the bond with her.
    Thanks.. Its tough to explain.. But as I said.. She picked me.. And we've grown closer and closer, ever since.. I love all of our birds.. But she's my baby girl.. Starburst is my chub butt, monte is the arnry cuss, Seminole is our foul mouth alarm clock lol.. But I'm trying not to dwell.. Just take it day by day and enjoy my time with her.. What else can I do.. (besides getting a hold of the breeder and spreading some cheer)

19. The following user likes this post:

plax (12-14-2014)