User Tag List

Thread: The Kea Parrot

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    The kea (/ˈkiː.ə/; Māori: [kɛ.a]; Nestor notabilis) is a large species of parrot of the superfamily Strigopoidea found in forested and alpine regions of the South Island of New Zealand. About 48 cm (19 in) long, it is mostly olive-green with a brilliant orange under its wings and has a large, narrow, curved, grey-brown upper beak. The kea is the world's only alpine parrot. Its omnivorous diet includes carrion,[2] but consists mainly of roots, leaves, berries, nectar, and insects. Now uncommon, the kea was once killed for bounty due to concerns by the sheep-farming community that it attacked livestock, especially sheep.[3] It received full protection in 1986.[4]

The kea nests in burrows or crevices among the roots of trees. Kea are known for their intelligence and curiosity, both vital to their survival in a harsh mountain environment. Kea can solve logical puzzles, such as pushing and pulling things in a certain order to get to food, and will work together to achieve a certain objective.[5] They have been filmed preparing and using tools.[6]

I find fascinating that the kea is the world's only alpine parrot! The video my daughter took is in snow ridden mountains!

2. The following 3 users like this post:

jtbirds (05-16-2015), Kallaste (02-19-2015), PlaxMacaws (05-15-2015)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I'm not sure how I missed this one. The Kea Parrot is indeed an interesting bird! Thanks, Mare!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-15-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Tony, you didn't see the pics I posted when my daughter visited New Zealand last Oct.-Nov.? Here is one of the pics she took of a kea parrot.

Parrots

Actually, I did see some of your daughter's photos of the Kea Parrot in another of your threads. I merely missed this species profile that you submitted. I love the dark outlines bordering each feather on this bird. They give it quite an interesting appearance. It's a very unique species

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-15-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I agree, the dark outline of each feather is special almost like a stain glass window. I've never heard of this species being kept as a pet..have you?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    They sort of look like a prehistoric bird. I do not think they can fly but not sure. Thanks for doing an interesting profile on this unusual bird with photo to go with it.

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-16-2015)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    I believe they are only kept for breeding to re introduce. They are interesting for sure! They remind me of pheasants.

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-16-2015)

Parrots

Molucan Cockatoo, Major Mitchell Cockatoo & Goliath Black Palm Cockatoo
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Actually, I did see some of your daughter's photos of the Kea Parrot in another of your threads. I merely missed this species profile that you submitted. I love the dark outlines bordering each feather on this bird. They give it quite an interesting appearance. It's a very unique species
    Yes, the pattern is very different & interesting. Almost doesn't look real.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-16-2015), PlaxMacaws (05-16-2015)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I agree, the dark outline of each feather is special almost like a stain glass window. I've never heard of this species being kept as a pet..have you?
    Nope. I sure haven't.

16. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-16-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    There is a great deal of information about them here: http://www.keaconservation.co.nz/