User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Blue-Winged Macaw

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

The Blue-Winged Macaw

The Blue-Winged Macaw, better known as Illiger's Macaw, and Mini Macaw.

The Blue winged is found in central and eastern South America. They have an average lifespan of 45-50 years.They weigh from 260-280 grams or 9.17 ozs. Their length is from 16 -17 inches or 36-43 cm, from the top of their head to the tip of their tail feathers.Their color is mostly a solid dark green with hues of blue. Their tails have dark colors of orange, lime green and blue. They also have orange plumage on their belly.The underside of the feathers are what I would describe as an iridescent lime green which to me illuminates all of their plumage. They have the typical white patch of skin on their face which accents the amber color in the iris of their eyes. The head has a bright tuff of orange red above their nares which then begins to turn to a beautiful soft blue on the crown of the head. The feet are beige in color with black nails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lady enjoying the sun (18).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	2500

Lady isn't the cuddly macaw I hoped she would be, but she fills my heart with never ending love just being herself. She is a very good listener and will respond to me in her own language as well as with human speech. She is quite comical when enjoying a bath by splashing about in her water bowl then rushing over to her "cuddle corner" to dry off. She has a loud voice and will announce her presence if she wants attention while bouncing up and down with excitement. I find it sweet that she will sit quietly when her instincts tell her I have had a long day and decide to take a nap. She is like no other and I am blessed to have her as a part of my family.

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-23-2016), kendrafitz (03-05-2016), Macaw Lover (03-06-2016), Mare (11-05-2014), PlaxMacaws (11-05-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I never realized Lady was a Macaw until you wrote this. Is this the only mini Mac?
    Last edited by spiritbird; 11-05-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Hi Spiritbird,

There are other mini macaws;

Chestnut-fronted, or severe macaw, Ara severa
    Golden-collared macaw, Primolius auricollis
    Blue-headed macaw, Primolius couloni
    Red-bellied macaw, Orthopsittaca manilata
    Red-shouldered, or Hahn's macaw, Diopsittaca nobilis

The red-bellied macaw and blue-headed macaw are typically only found in captivity in a zoo setting, or as part of a breeding program and are rarely kept as pets.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-23-2016), spiritbird (11-05-2014)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    Lady is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the information. Mini Macs rock.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

2birds (11-05-2014), Casper's 2nd best friend (10-23-2016), Lady (11-05-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Thank you Jt for that and all you do~ You rock as well!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Is it true that the smaller macaws have the same temperament as the larger ones? Lady is beautiful, BTW!

10. The following user likes this post:

Lady (11-05-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Hi Mare,
    Never owing a larger Mac, I can not say from experience, but from reading what some of the folks who own the larger ones, I would say yes. She acts in such a way that I believe she thinks she is as large as one or even sometimes as large as me. She seems to have a no fear attitude with what she sees, but still is a little one when she hears loud noises from around the house. I will keep my eyes and ears open to how I can describe it better when reading posts from the larger Macaw owners as it relates to her.

Banned

Hello , I am really enjoying this thread, I am new to this forum and it is by far one of the most informative and enriching I have come across, I am glad I found it! I think the Mini Macaws are adorable, I been tempted to get one but I always end up getting things in pairs

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (03-05-2016), plax (03-05-2016), spiritbird (03-05-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

So glad you are enjoying your time with us .

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    OK it's time for a video of your beautiful girl in action. Please with sugar and honey on top of ice cream!