User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Species and Diseases

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Bird Species and Diseases

Sadly the administrator of a well known forum just recently lost her most loved Macaw. There are several Macaws in the home and one African Grey. The Macaw died from heart failure from asthma obtained from the bird dust of one bird- the grey. There were two quality filtration machines in the home and only last minute symptoms. I tell you this because if you are mixing old world and new world birds you may be asking for problems. Know your bird species that are dusty birds and do not mix them with susceptible birds like Macaws and sun conures. http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/why-y...ies-separated/

I also suggest you become familiar with which disease your bird may get. Here is a link to bird species and their diseases. http://beautyofbirds.com/BirdSpeciesSyndroms.htm

Because of what is happening to chipper I guess you could say I am now hypervigilant.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 11-02-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Oh no! I am heartbroken, I loved watching her videos and that smart, beautiful, funny baby never failed to put a smile on my face. I cannot imagine the loss felt.

Thank you for posting this. I never would have known about mixing dusty birds with macaws can be fatal. It really hits home, since it happened in such a short amount of time.

Thank you for the links as well. I am going to do some research today.
    Rosie & Kendra

3. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (11-02-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Macaws name was Zoe.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Thanks so much for posting this, Dianne. It's a terribly sad example of what can occur when any of the dust-generating species coexist with other birds in the same home. Each of us should heed the heartbreaking warning from this tragic story!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (11-03-2014)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Zoe, the wizard birdy girl and best friend. She will be missed by many.
    Rosie & Kendra

8. The following 2 users like this post:

plax (11-02-2014), spiritbird (11-03-2014)

I just hope for those people that have said 'get an air purifier', that is enough, that they stop and realize that it is not enough and they will make adjustments in their own flock.

I know I have cried too many tears and I can just image what the Mama is going through.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Karen (11-02-2014), kendrafitz (11-02-2014), plax (11-02-2014), spiritbird (11-03-2014)

Parrots

Green Winged Macaw - Kady (male) Green Winged Macaw - Kita (female)
    Renee' I could have written your post word for word.

The tears that have fallen for Zoe are many. I cry every time I read a new post. This touches my heart deeply; as Macaws are so near and dear to me.

I want to tell anyone that will hear me; air filters and the other side of the room are not gonna cut it!!! Don't let your Macaw be the one.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (11-02-2014), plax (11-02-2014), spiritbird (11-03-2014)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    This is horribly sad, I as well have some of the dustier birds and many of the not so dusty birds. I have to ask did she bath the grey daily to reduce dust as well. I am not trying to sound rude about the situation I am just curious so in the future I can give more information to my adoptees. I have always believed against having a lot of dust around macaws but I also believe that bathing a dusty bird daily is a must.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    This is very sad news. Please convey our condolences to her and her family.

Nobility Member

Parrots

I do not know about daily baths for her grey and dare not ask. Her grey is going to another home.

16. The following user likes this post:

jtbirds (11-03-2014)