User Tag List

Thread: Lorikeet biting and latching on

Lorikeet biting and latching on

Hi there.
    I have a four year old male, rainbow lorikeet named Bronson. Originally, I had him and a black capped conure who unfortunately passed away 3 months ago from genetic problems. They got along well enough (they were in seperate cages but played together often) and both of their temperaments were great.

Last month, I adopted a pied rainbow lorikeet who I named Bailey, so Bronson wouldn't get so lonely. Bailey isn't DNA sexed. They are housed seperately but are allowed out to play with eachother often. Recently Bronson has started to become very aggressive with me. They both have day cages outside in the yard and night cages inside where they sleep. Every time I'm bringing Bronson in to his night cage and taking him out in the morning, he's biting me very hard and latching on. I expected a behavioural change once I got Bailey but I didn't expect Bronson to turn this way. What am I doing/have I done wrong? What can I do to stop him being so aggressive towards me now.

Thank you for any advice!!
    Laura

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    Honestly it sounds as though they may be bonded which around this time of the year this behavior can be normal. I would say the best way to go about fixing this is maybe not letting the two play together and only allow them to play with you in eye sight of each other. This will allow you to stay in the "flock" and them not to exclude you because they have become bonded to a point he may not desire your attention as he gets it from the other lorikeet. If you want more information just ask see if this works.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (11-02-2014), Mare (12-11-2014), plax (11-02-2014)

Thank you so much jtbirds. I'll try this and see how it goes!!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hey Laura,
    How are things working out with Bronson and Bailey?

Hi Lady,
    I tried to follow the advice given by jtbirds and play with the two birds separately so I could stay in the flock. Bronson's aggression didn't waver, in fact he got worse. Every time I had them out of the cage separately, they would fly back to the other one. And my fingers and hands were being ripped to shreds by Bronson. So very obvious that they've bonded. I've put them in the same cage and they get along with eachother fantastically. But unfortunately this means Ive been ousted as a flock member. When I clean their cage out I have to wear two pairs of gloves to protect my hands from Bronson. Bailey is fine with me and just licks my fingers. I'm upset because I've always been involved in my birds lives. Having them out of the cage and playing with them. But I am now quite scared of Bronson and I don't trust him so both of them stay in the cage all the time and the only interaction I have with them is when I feed and clean their cage everyday. I'm going to the vet on Monday. Hopefully she can give me further advice.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh Laura this is not the outcome that Jt wanted to come about. I have only one bird and I can not give any helpful advice as I have not had any experience with this type of behavior.

I sure hope you keep us posted on what the vet's advice is and how it works out for you.

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    Well he only got worse because you got afraid, These guys they know your fear or your rather your energy. The key is staying on top of the behavior you are trying to fix. I know being bit hurts a lot believe me. Putting them together has more then likely made bronson push you away more? I know the Lory we have if he has his mindset on something he doesn't want you getting in his way, his plans are his. This seems a lot like Bronson honestly, I do not know exactly what to tell you because i still stick true to separating them for play time/ working on bronsons behavior. Other then that you can let them be together and content and see what comes out of it.. all I know is usually you'll end up getting hurt more.

For Example we have a pair of greys in the rescue right now, the female has laid eggs, we have let her have them so she would stop. I went to clean the cage last night and since I have let them be to not stress her out and cause her to lay more eggs. The male very quickly was able to get to me and he Bit me on my knuckle. The bite i received is worse then I have ever gotten from this bird. It is very deep and was meant to be meaningful, this is what happened with me letting them be together no interaction for a few days maybe 10.