User Tag List

Thread: The Hyacinth Macaw

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)

The Hyacinth Macaw

The Hyacinth Macaw may be the most amazing companion pet on our planet. All Macaws are astonishing, but many people feel Hyacinth Macaws have an extra *something* about them that makes them almost magical. At least that's my impression of the general consensus as well as how I personally feel about these magnificent birds. Hyacinths are among the largest parrots in the world. Their striking cobalt blue feathering accented with bright yellow facial skin patches, together with their adorable expression and substantial size, gives them an exquisite appearance. Combine this with the fact that they're extremely intelligent and often incredibly affectionate to those who care for them and you've got the makings of a spectacular personal friend. Anyone who has spent time around a pet Hyacinth Macaw will confirm my sentiment.

Hyacinth Macaws may measure up to 40 inches in length (from beak to tail tip) and weigh as much as 1700 grams. The majority of captive Hyacinths, however, fall within the 1350 to 1500 gram range. These impressive birds have a fully extended wingspan of 48 to 54 inches, very large and strong beaks, and a clownishly friendly overall appearance. Beyond being very intelligent, they are noted for their gentle dispositions as cherished pets.

In the wild, Hyacinth Macaws thrive in small flock groups and the individual birds mate for life. When breeding is successful, they typically produce one to two chicks. These amazing large parrots are indigenous to parts of Brazil, eastern Bolivia, and northeastern Paraguay. But they are unfortunately an endangered species; there are an estimated mere 3000 Hyacinths remaining in the wild. Hyacinths generally live in lightly forested and grassland areas. And because palm nuts constitute their dietary staple, they tend to frequent palm grove locations.

If you ever have the chance to spend some time with a Hyacinth Macaw, seize the opportunity. You'll be glad you did!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anodorhynchus_hyacinthinus.small.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	2487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyacinth_macaw_group.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	2488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyacinth_flying.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	2489

2. The following 4 users like this post:

2birds (11-01-2014), froggij (11-01-2014), Lady (10-31-2014), spiritbird (10-31-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hey Tony,
    Are they on an endangered list? I thought I read that somewhere recently.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Hey Tony,
    Are they on an endangered list? I thought I read that somewhere recently.
    Yes, they are indeed. As I mentioned, it's estimated there are only around 3000 of them left in the wild.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Yup you surely did, thanks~

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Do you have both male and female that would breed?

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Do you have both male and female that would breed?
    No, I don't. The only Hy I have is Zaf.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    A member of my bird club has a Hy named Ziggy. He is just the funniest guy! And so sweet too! Although I can't hold him if I am wearing my glasses, because he will try and pull them off of my face.
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Mr Peepers (06-30-2015), PlaxMacaws (07-12-2015)