User Tag List

Thread: Advice for Members about Avian Gastric Yeast

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Exclamation Advice for Members about Avian Gastric Yeast

Advice for anyone getting a bird species known to carry avian gastric yeast. The best way for pet owners to prevent AGY infection is to select healthy birds from reputable breeders. If you are bringing new birds into your household, they should be quarantined for 30 days before being placed with your current birds. Ideally any new birds should also be examined by a veterinarian, and birds of a susceptible species, such as budgerigars, may be tested for AGY to further reduce the risk of bringing this organism into your household.

Top of the list species are budgies, then cockatiels, parrolets and lovebirds. By all means please do not purchase one of these species from a pet store. Chances are high for avian yeast infection.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (10-31-2014), plax (11-01-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesOYJQ2ARV.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	2490

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I've been thinking about bringing in another cockatiel, a hand raised one, for the little Chip guy (and me, of course ) There are a couple in the store I buy supplies from. So.. quarantine for 30 days isn't enough? They also need to be vet checked?..is that what you are saying?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Absolutely yes. I would have a vet exam and a crop and dropping test for yeast. You do not want this be an issue with any of your birds. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/yeast.html If I were to get another bird I would do exactly the same thing.

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (11-05-2014)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    I have had a few come to the rescue with this kind of infection. Sometimes it becomes so severe before you see signs your chances of saving them can become low. I was going to adopt a severe macaw years ago as i was gonna take her home. I was notified from the rescue I worked with that she had died of a mega bacteria other wise this. Better to be safe then sorry and always weigh your birds as much as possible because that can show a sign before appearance/ energy. This can be a silent killer if not found early enough. Sadly in the rescue world you gotta be even safer as birds come from all types of different situations.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (11-05-2014), plax (11-02-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

So right JT. That is why I am talking about the importance of knowing the symptoms, even so slight. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between vomiting and regurgitation. By the time the bird is loosing wt. like mine the hope for curing the yeast is dim. Birds can be carriers and no one knows until another susceptible bird in the home has active symptoms.

10. The following user likes this post:

jtbirds (11-02-2014)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    Spirit are you struggling with one having it right now? I believe I missed you telling people if so. I am so sorry I have a struggle with one of my personal birds right now to. As sad as this sounds when a rescue gets sick I get upset when my own get sick i get sick. I love them all the same but my own have picked me on there own and made me a part of them and that makes the struggle alil worse to me.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks JT. You can read my post about my sweet english budgie named Chipper. He has been in treatment for gastric yeast about 3 months now.

Parrots

I am so sorry, I was alil inactive for a month or so.

14. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (11-04-2014)