User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I found a Dove,,

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

I found a Dove,,

Hi everyone . About two weeks ago I was driving home and there was this dove on the road. As I slowly drove by it I could tell it had been hit by a car, I pulled over. It was very afraid of me but couldn't fly and I knew it wouldn't last left to itself. I picked it up and there was quite a bit of blood, put her in a paper bag I had in the back seat and brought her home. Here is a picture of her today.

Her wing isn't broke, she can flap just fine but her shoulder area has all it's feathers burmed off! That brown patch is where all the blood came from, it is now scabbed over. She seems healthy, I feed her cockatiel seed and cooked brown rice, she drinks and eats well. I'll try and get a better pic. Can you guys tell, from this pic, if her feathers might grow back? Thanks!

Parrots

Rose (Nanday Conure), Orsino (Cockatiel), and Dori (Lovie)
    Oh goodness! I can't tell if she's going to grow her feathers back, but thank goodness she found a kind (bird-loving) soul like you to help her out. I hope she gets to feeling better soon and grows those back!

3. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-08-2014)

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    I bet they will, it'll just take a little time. So glad you found her Mare, lucky little dove.

5. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-08-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh Mare,

She is cute! Thank you for being the sweet caring person you are. I have no idea if they will grow back, but I hope so.

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-08-2014)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Good on you for saving the little girl, Mare . As to whether her feathers will grow back, I'd say it will likely depend upon if (and how badly) her feather follicles were damaged. My guess is that they will probably grow back. Thanks so much for taking her in!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-08-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thanks guys, definitely not something you all wouldn't do..gotta love them birds . She got flustered a bit ago, she's still real scared, and her scab fell off! There is pink skin and, I think..maybe some kind of feather/hair follicle action going on! YAY! That would be amazing if she could be able to fly again. I'll get some pics in the morn.

11. The following 4 users like this post:

2birds (10-08-2014), froggij (10-09-2014), Lady (10-08-2014), plax (10-08-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Only thing I know about doves is they are ground feeders and need grit in their diet. You have a kind heart.

13. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-09-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks, Dianne, I will definitely mix some dirt in with her seed. This isn't a great pic but you will get the gist of how she looks today.

She's starting to get a cockatoo thing going with her head feathers..OH..NO! I moved her into the bird room (poor thing). This is where the action is but can also be the loudest place in the universe! I'm always in and out of there. Ok..she can't fly and I have her in a small box. I would like to put her in a cage but doves don't climb like parrots to get to perches, right? Is she best off in a small enclosure or a larger cage? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Mare; 10-09-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

At first, I thought that was a floofie on top of Lou's head. After holding her/maybe him's, will,,,I discovered that it was a hard..quill-ish thing? Does anyone know of this oddity?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hey Mare,

She/he is cute. I was trying to look up information and found that their are over 300 species of Doves. Here's the link if you want to take a look.

http://www.dovepage.com/index.html

17. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-10-2014)