User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I found a Dove,,

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh Mare, your right to be concerned she has come so far under your care. Maybe you could call your local wildlife center? Maybe even your avian vet?

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (11-19-2014)

Parrots

Rose (Nanday Conure), Orsino (Cockatiel), and Dori (Lovie)
    Mare, I'm so glad to hear she's doing so much better. A vet visit would definitely help, in my humble opinion. Sometimes they can do things, sometimes they can't - but I do know from my own experience with bird injuries (when we almost lost Orsino five years ago to a horrible accident) that they have a way of compensating for abnormalities. If a bird wants to overcome an injury or a deformity, they will, and sometimes it's just best to let them figure it out on their own. That being said, if it were me, I would still see a vet to make sure that anything that could be done will be done, but if she's flying alright, eating well, and a healthy weight and has all her feathers back, I say open the door. That's my two-cents worth.

4. The following user likes this post:

Mare (11-19-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thanks, Alice and Jen, for your input . I could call the wildlife rescue guy but he refers all questions to the vet so, I think I will start there. Jen, I love what you said about a bird overcoming. I think little Lou has done just that.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

froggij (11-27-2014), Lady (11-19-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I would not set her free until she or he is 100 percent. You could find her medical care to see if wing is broken. Maybe needs a splint.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Dianne, her wing isn't broken, it's a holding up wing, muscle issue? I'm not going to take her to a vet, she's healthy except for that. I did call a vet though and we both agreed that she would be taken down by a predator if she wasn't quite up to par as the other doves in a flock. We have a friend looking to get rid of some of his doves, they live in horrid living conditions. Tim says "No way, no more birds!" but he's leaving for Baja after Thanksgiving,, sooo.. . I'm bad!

Nobility Member

Parrots

I set little dove, Lou, free today! She flew beautifully, droopy shoulder and all . Her life just wasn't a life in the aviary, every time I would have to come in to feed her she would beat herself against the side of the cage, she bloodied her nose a week ago. I decided against bringing in more doves for her and left it to chance. I took her to a beautiful area, near water, that I've seen flocks of doves around. She took right off! I'm so happy for her to finally be free and able to fly well. Even though I took a chance that she might not be capable..she did it! YAY! May she have a long, happy life

10. The following user likes this post:

Lady (12-06-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Amen Mare! You did well by her and I'm sure she is going to be a happy little bird back out in the world living her life.

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-06-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks, Alice! Her instincts never wavered the whole time she was with us, she never ever thought she might want to tame down, I have faith that she will keep herself safe

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Excellent news about Lou, Mare!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

15. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-06-2014)