User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you do it?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I didn't know that about linoleum, either! Thanks, Tony! That's why we keep you around!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

plax (10-08-2014), SissyCool (10-08-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    In my reading stainless steel wire is the best for custom built bird cages, if one can afford it. http://www.cageworks.com/cages/45

4. The following 2 users like this post:

plax (10-08-2014), SissyCool (10-25-2014)

I've looked into the stainless steel, but I can't find any locally and I can't afford what I've found online. I'm actually trying to find enough old parrot cages to use...I have 2 already. If needed, I'll use those and to fill in I'll use the wire that most outdoor aviaries use and just give it the suggested vinegar scrub. Thanks again! We're working on it now, so hopefully will have it finished by next week and I'll be posting pictures!

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-29-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Awesome, It will be great to see what you came up with!

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by SissyCool View Post
    I've looked into the stainless steel, but I can't find any locally and I can't afford what I've found online. I'm actually trying to find enough old parrot cages to use...I have 2 already. If needed, I'll use those and to fill in I'll use the wire that most outdoor aviaries use and just give it the suggested vinegar scrub. Thanks again! We're working on it now, so hopefully will have it finished by next week and I'll be posting pictures!
    You're indeed welcome. I'm glad to know you're on track with the project. I'm looking forward to your photos
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

I currently own Digby - 3-year-old male Congo African Grey and Cleo - 15-year-old female Umbrella Cockatoo.
    Stainless steel mesh is so expensive. But I believe that is the only truly safe mesh to use. I've looked into building cages/aviaries before but have never ended up building anything.

10. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (10-26-2014)

I think I've solved the problem with the wire. For my amazon, I'm going to use 2 older cages I had to make one big one. For the smaller birds (my tiels and my parrotlet) I'm using high grade hardware cloth that I'm going to scrub with vinegar and paint with rustoleum paint. I'm not really worried about the little guys because they don't chew on their cages...just mouth them a little to get around. My amazon constantly chews at hers. Have another question though. Each cage will have at least one solid plywood wall. What is the best paint or stain or whatever to use on that? Appreciate all the help!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I would think that leaving it natural, no paint or stain, would be best. That's just my thoughts, I really don't have a clue what would be safe, maybe someone else does

13. The following user likes this post:

SissyCool (11-02-2014)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    A water-based latex paint is often recommended for bird rooms. Many stains, and especially varnishes and lacquers emit dangerous fumes for sometime after application. Some folks finish wooden objects and surfaces with beeswax - it's bird-safe and provides a nice sheen as well as certain protections.

Here's one article that addresses safe paints for birds: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-hous...me-safely.aspx
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (10-29-2014), SissyCool (11-02-2014)

Thanks so much! I thought of leaving it plain, but it would be hard to clean when it eventually gets "baptized" LOL I also had to make the cages smaller than I thought, but they're still fairly large! It's gonna be awesome!

17. The following user likes this post:

plax (10-29-2014)