User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you do it?

How would you do it?

I am building bird cages into an rv to make a traveling "animal house" for my animals. Below is a picture of the area I've designated for the cockatiels. I'm just wondering if anybody has any ideas? I picked this area for my flock of 6 tiels because of all the windows. I thought they would enjoy that. (the stuff in the pic won't be there...especially not that wire in the floor! lol) And it's big enough that I can walk into it. What wire would you guys use? What would you cover the floor and walls with? Should it be wired all the way around? There's a little "cubby hole" type area in the center above the back window...I was going to put a light in there and cover the opening with wire. (I don't want to leave it open because I don't want them nesting). I would really appreciate any input! Thought it might be fun for some of you to figure out how you would do it. Thanks so much for reading!

Also below is the picture of the basic measurements of the areas I've designated for the big cages...
    Attachments Attachments 2014-10-07 18.23.59.jpg  

Animal House.jpg  

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow, looking like a great idea beginning to form!

3. The following user likes this post:

SissyCool (10-08-2014)

Thanks. I think it could be good if it's done right.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Hi Sissy! Welcome! Have you checked into our "New Members, Welcome" section? We would love to hear more about your birds This looks like a very cool project you are thinking about. I think my main concern when choosing wire would be,, it would need to small enough that they couldn't catch their heads in it,,safe if they chewed on it (not coated in toxic material) and strong enough that a parrot coundnt chew through it (I have cockatoos). I also like your plans. Would you be towing this trailer?

6. The following user likes this post:

SissyCool (10-08-2014)

It wouldn't be moved often, but yes, it's towable. The windows open, so I want to make some outdoor cages to connect to the windows, so they can go outside when it's set up. I was hoping somebody would know exactly what kind of wire would be best. I've heard of hardware cloth and chicken wire and such....just not sure which is best. Also, for covering the floors and walls...I was considering linoleum. Anybody see a problem with that?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I see no problem with linoleum, easy to clean, too. I'm sorry I can't help you with the type of wire to use other than the thoughts I already posted. If I were you, I would start searching on-line for aviary supplies. I don't know where you live but I know where I'm at, I would have extra strong wire, on the outdoor side, to keep out predators,,raccoons in my area.

9. The following user likes this post:

SissyCool (10-08-2014)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Actually, some linoleum products contain lead. So you might want to rethink using it, or at least make sure the stuff you are going to use doesn't. I'm sure you should be able to get an MSDS for any currently produced linoleum product to confirm the presence/absence of lead. Common sense seems to suggest that recently produced linoleum products in the US should be relatively lead-free and safe. But I've seen quite a few claims around to the contrary.

Have you considered using GAW mesh wire (as mentioned in another thread)?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (10-08-2014), SissyCool (10-08-2014)

Thanks for that information on the linoleum! I will definitely check that out! As for the GAW wire, that's at the top of the list...but I'm wondering, since it's going to be used inside, if it has to be galvanized at all? Isn't that the harmful part? If so, I was really hoping somebody would have a better/safer suggestion.

13. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (10-08-2014)

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    That's what I was going to suggest as well, GAW. Chicken wire I think would be too flimsy. Even if the tiels couldn't chew out, predators would be able to get in. Probably 16 gage would be good for the cockatiels maybe 14 gage. Galvanized wire is fine if it's GAW (galvanized after weld) and scrub it down with vinegar and rinse well before using it for the birds. It's the zinc that is toxic to birds but people use it with no problem. Just make sure all of the powder is washed off and any little pieces stuck on there is picked off so the birds don't pick them off and ingest them.
    I would replace the screen with wire so you can open the windows for air but not let the birds out unless you want to. They would probably tear through that screen.
    I didn't know that linoleum had lead in it. WOW!
    Last edited by 2birds; 10-08-2014 at 02:33 AM.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (10-08-2014), PlaxMacaws (10-08-2014), SissyCool (10-08-2014)

Well, the only predators that will be in the house are my dogs and cats...and while they don't generally bother the birds, I'm thinking the bottom part (maybe the bottom 2-3 ft...) of the main dividing "wall" will be solid...like plywood...to kinda make sure of that...