Is this a moult

Is he moulting or something more serious
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1411683787035.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	2362

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Can you get a closeup of each side of his face?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1411684866719.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	2363

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I don't think it's a result of molting. But I can't really determine what that dark matter is near the gap between his upper and lower beak. Is there noticeably more skin showing around his beak than there used to be?

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    Um.. Is he throwing his head around??? Ever look like his head is wet or like he has gel in his feathers? Especially in the morning... It could be a yeast infection...

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    As Brandon suggested, he could be vomiting and the matter may thus be sticking to the skin and the feathers around his beak. If it were from a molt you would find pin feathers and there would be no matter around his beak and his feathers wouldn't be sticking together. So if that darkness in your photos is actually a flaky or crusty material, I would get him to an avian vet for assessment.

Loads of white downy feathers.. not been sick.. eating well r

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by jane.davies.1690 View Post
    Loads of white downy feathers.. not been sick.. eating well r
    Well, it's difficult to tell from the photos. It appears he has some bare skin around his beak and that there are some flaky looking patches at the demarcation where his beak meets his skin. But, again, it's hard to know exactly what I'm seeing from your photos. Watch for regurgitation/vomiting/head thrashing (especially in the AM) and watch for moisture on the feathers near his beak. If you detect either of those it would be a good idea to have him seen by an avian veterinarian.

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    I always err on the side of caution with my flock... It's pricy at times.. But they didn't ask to be here.. So I do the best I can to keep them healthy.. Yeah it's stressful at times.. But once you've been around the block, you know not to let little things slide.. Birds will act healthy.. And a day later will drop dead.. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know

Booked in for the vets

11. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (09-26-2014), Lady (09-26-2014), plax (09-26-2014)