User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird Kabob

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I think a sub forum would be fine. Most people will not post unless they have had an incident of injury to the bird. You could call it Bird Injuries from Toys or something like that.
    Noted. And I'm thinking it over. I'll make a decision soon. Thanks, Dianne.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (09-22-2014)

Parrots

Rose (Nanday Conure), Orsino (Cockatiel), and Dori (Lovie)
    Can I just say that those hanging bird tents some stores sell are quite dangerous? Had one for Dori when we first got her because she was a snuggle bug, she'd snuggle anything she could and she loved going in there and sleeping in it at night. Well we didn't see her chewing on it one day, apparently she'd gotten a strand of the material loose and she got caught in it. Luckily we were home and I rushed over at the first sign of her distress call, and luckily no harm was done, but she'd put her head through the thread and gotten a foot caught in it too by the time I'd gotten over there. She could've been in serious trouble, I'm so thankful it happened while we were home and could rush over to her.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by froggij View Post
    Can I just say that those hanging bird tents some stores sell are quite dangerous? Had one for Dori when we first got her because she was a snuggle bug, she'd snuggle anything she could and she loved going in there and sleeping in it at night. Well we didn't see her chewing on it one day, apparently she'd gotten a strand of the material loose and she got caught in it. Luckily we were home and I rushed over at the first sign of her distress call, and luckily no harm was done, but she'd put her head through the thread and gotten a foot caught in it too by the time I'd gotten over there. She could've been in serious trouble, I'm so thankful it happened while we were home and could rush over to her.
    Thanks for the warning on the snuggle huts/bird tents, Jen. I'm so glad you were nearby to rescue Dori from her tangled predicament! I've read other terrible stories about those things as well. Some bird accessories really seem too dangerous to be worth the risk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh geez, I just watched a DIY on making one of those with a sock and cardboard. Other folks have also said the same. It sure is something we all need to watch, just because we never know and it's better to be safe than sorry.
    What do you use now for Dori Jen, if anything.

Administrator

Parrots

I put a new hanging bird toy on Salsa's cage-mounted t-perch yesterday morning. It was a toy with lots of wooden pieces to tear apart. I hung it with a stainless steel quicklink, but stupidly missed that there was one of the cheap and flimsy, plated imitation quicklinks nestled between the wood chunks. The toy was new. It was actually two toys tied together (joined by the cheap quicklink). Yesterday evening, I noticed a glimmering point on the floor below Salsa's perch. It was part of the sleeve from the cheap qucklink that Sals had ripped off and split apart. I realized what it was and then found the hook portion of the cheap quicklink still nestled between the wood chunks of the toy. I found what was left of the sleeve on the floor (the remaining pieces).

Salsa tends not to swallow the non-food items he breaks up, so I'm reasonably sure that he didn't ingest any of the pieces. But the potential for zinc intoxication from doing so is extremely frightening to consider . I immediately called and spoke with my vet and described the situation. We talked about zinc toxicity from ingested metal parts and about my careful and ongoing observation of Salsa over the next several days. Naturally, if he shows any signs at all of feeling ill I will bring him in for assessment and treatment. I really don't think he ingested any of the pieces at this point, though. The treatment for zinc intoxication involves a regimen of chelation therapy to remove the zinc from a bird's system, in conjunction with various digestive tract purging techniques. Salsa is himself and feeling great this morning, thankfully

So please be alerted concerning the cheap fasteners and chains that come on many retail bird accessories! A great number of them contain zinc. If your bird doesn't enjoy chewing on metal objects, you may have far less to worry about. And obviously it's the big guys who have the power and thus the greatest likelihood for crushing apart metal objects.

Note: I'm still deciding how to arrange a dangerous bird accessory forum category per Dianne's suggestion.

Super Moderator

Parrots

My goodness, we sure are finding issues. It's good to keep others aware of what we have been experiencing. Who knew? I am so very glad none of our birds have had any bad results.

Keep on your toes everyone so we don't have bad results!

8. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-26-2014)

Parrots

Rose (Nanday Conure), Orsino (Cockatiel), and Dori (Lovie)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Oh geez, I just watched a DIY on making one of those with a sock and cardboard. Other folks have also said the same. It sure is something we all need to watch, just because we never know and it's better to be safe than sorry.
    What do you use now for Dori Jen, if anything.
    I have one of those obnoxiously neon yellow snuggle buddies in the corner for her that's thicker and I don't think she gets her beak around it, but we waited a while after that to get her anything else so she kind of forgot about chewing on them. The snuggle buddy ties right into the corner and she can't get at the ties if you do it right, and the walls of it are pretty thick and fluffy, so I think she gave up chewing it. This is, however, the same bird who is small enough and wiley enough that we now have to cut any (cleaned and glue-free) toilet paper tubes down the side for because she was smart enough to get stuck inside of one before. I'm sure if she decides to chew it, I will have to take the snuggle buddy out, but for now it's in good condition and she doesn't seem to want to nest in it.

If you have a smaller bird, cut your tp and paper towel tubes people. Not just shorten the length of the tube, cut it right up the side so that it's not a solid tube and they can push out of it if they have to. They WILL employ the "if I can put my beak in it, I'll get into it somehow" method of bird-ing. Again, I was home for that one, and while it could have been serious it wasn't, so I laugh about it. Her little feet were sticking out one end...

Those two are really the only toy mishaps we've had, the tent and the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    So please be alerted concerning the cheap fasteners and chains that come on many retail bird accessories! A great number of them contain zinc. If your bird doesn't enjoy chewing on metal objects, you may have far less to worry about. And obviously it's the big guys who have the power and thus the greatest likelihood for crushing apart metal objects.
    I'm so glad Salsa's doing okay! That must have been so scary. Thankfully my birds aren't big enough to destroy the metal hooks, that had to be terrifying to find. I kind of want to go replace all my hooks now with rope. I have however noticed that a lot of toys I get from my favorite bird store in town (the one I got Dori from) has stopped using metal links on their toys - they now use chewable loops made out of the same fibrous rope-like stuff they make the majority of their toys out of, and I'm really thankful for that. Dori doesn't chew the hook we use to keep one of her cage doors shut, but she does flip it with her beak to make noise because she knows it aggravates me and she wants attention.

Has anyone had a mishap with a bell? I am always afraid to get bell toys because I'm worried my birds will pull out the clapper and either chew them or slice their feet on them if they get them loose in the cage...
    Last edited by froggij; 09-26-2014 at 06:17 PM.

10. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-26-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by froggij View Post
    I have one of those obnoxiously neon yellow snuggle buddies in the corner for her that's thicker and I don't think she gets her beak around it, but we waited a while after that to get her anything else so she kind of forgot about chewing on them. The snuggle buddy ties right into the corner and she can't get at the ties if you do it right, and the walls of it are pretty thick and fluffy, so I think she gave up chewing it. This is, however, the same bird who is small enough and wiley enough that we now have to cut any (cleaned and glue-free) toilet paper tubes down the side for because she was smart enough to get stuck inside of one before. I'm sure if she decides to chew it, I will have to take the snuggle buddy out, but for now it's in good condition and she doesn't seem to want to nest in it.
    LOL, we have a green one .