User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Kabob

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Exclamation Bird Kabob

First of all may I suggest a new forum for Unsafe Toys with photos of them. It's really is important to know other peoples experiences so you can avoid purchasing them. Here is one that I read about in another forum that many birds love. The Bird Kabob. This person's bird was eating away at the soft wood and it got his wing caught in the rope. The bird struggled and the rope continued to wrap around the wing. Eventually the owner unwrapped the rope from the wing and it looks like the bird is OK. I dare say what you happen if she had not been home at the time. The suggestion was to remove the wood pieces from the string and put them on a skewer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lg_st_22235_29347.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	2334

Admin Note: The suggested subforum has been created. Accordingly, this thread has been renamed and moved to the new location (Dangerous Toys & Accessories). All dangerous bird toy and accessory warnings may be placed in the new subforum.

2. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-20-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Bump

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Dianne, your idea about a forum for unsafe bird toys is a good one. If I create a new category for them it will be a subforum under this forum as its parent section. However, my concern is that a great many of the hanging toys that we all use on a consistent basis can reasonably be considered unsafe, in that the cords/ropes/strings/chains/etc. which are strung through the components can easily loop around the neck of a bird and strangle it. This risk becomes present when the toy components are progressively broken away by a bird causing a greater length of the cord/rope/string/chain/etc. to be thus exposed. Gravity holds the remaining components on the bottom portion of the ligature which makes it extra dangerous should it become wrapped around the bird. I'm fairly sure most of us use this type of toy in our bird cages at times. Each time I visit a parrot supply or pet store and look through their toy section (wall or rack) I see that a disturbingly large percentage of the toys are potentially dangerous. That's quite bothersome to me. Such toys typically don't come with warnings and the store clerks never say anything about the dangers when we make our purchases. Lots of folks don't think of this real risk and frequently leave their birds alone with this hanging style of toy. If we dedicate a subforum to this serious problem, I fear we may never keep up with posting about such toys since they are virtually everywhere

I'll give some serious thought to creating the new subforum, Dianne. But I'm unsure what to do about the ubiquitous nature of unsafe bird toys. If you have some ideas about this dilemma, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 2 users like this post:

jtbirds (09-22-2014), spiritbird (09-22-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Well here is my 2 cents worth. Maybe if it is more like showing how certain toys have become unsafe and hopefully some suggestions on keeping an eye out for certain things as suggested. I also agree that most can become dangerous at some point. It is always a good idea to examine your babies toys everyday.

7. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-20-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Hey guys,

Lady had an incident with a toy today but she didn't get hurt, we were real lucky. I was sitting with all the recent purchases from MSBS to once again update her current toy when she kept trying to take the strand I was working on away from me. I notice she kept after a particular toy so I gave her one that I was not using. She was content but still quite close to me and what I was working on so I kept looking up at her to keep a watchful eye.

Well, she put down the toy she had and started heading for what I had, she stepped onto the toy and her toe went into the hole on the toy. As she lifted her foot up to take another step the toy was still on her and she started making a strange noise as she begun to try to get it off. I reached for the toy to help but couldn't see it too well as her head and beak were all over it trying to get it off. Gratefully she did and then kept on walking right for the one I was fixing.

The purpose of this post it to let all of you know that even tho it is a safe toy and a foot toy at that, her little toes fit right into the hole on it. This is definitely a toy she will never have unsupervised or as a foot toy. I do however have it strung on the chain currently hanging in her cage, but I am a bit unsure if I want to keep in in there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00408.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	2345

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    From what you've described, Alice, it sound like the main concern may have been Lady panicking had she not been able to get the toy off of her toe. I'm glad she was able to free herself from it! I would think if those things are strung up and hanging she may still be able to poke her toes through them and get them stuck. But I'm sure you'll be watching her closely if you leave the toy hanging in her cage

Super Moderator

Parrots

Hi Tony,

Honestly, I was panicking as well. Even tho things happened so quickly, I knew I was in for a bite if I had to help her in any way. I don't see how she would get her toes into the toy now because she has never climbed about the cage, her feet are always on her perches unless of course she goes to the bottom on the grid.

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Hi Tony,

Honestly, I was panicking as well. Even tho things happened so quickly, I knew I was in for a bite if I had to help her in any way.
    I understand. Sometimes it's the only way, though

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    I don't see how she would get her toes into the toy now because she has never climbed about the cage, her feet are always on her perches unless of course she goes to the bottom on the grid.
    But didn't you put it there in hopes that she'll go up and play with it? If she does, hopefully it will be when you're home.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Yes, I would of taken the bite or bites, whatever it took to get her toe out of the toy. And yes surely I added it to a chain strand of different textures of toys so she could play with it but it is within her reach on either of the perches that she uses near it. I will be home this week from work and if I even had the slightest doubt that she could get her toes into it believe me, I would not allow it in her cage.

13. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-22-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I think a sub forum would be fine. Most people will not post unless they have had an incident of injury to the bird. You could call it Bird Injuries from Toys or something like that.