User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Placement of things in your birds cage

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Placement of things in your birds cage

Hi Lady - my GW Rosie doesn't spend much time in her cage. Just to sleep and for and hour or two if I run out for errands during the day.

Her tree and stands have toys, which she pretty much ignores. Unless she can unscrew them, she loves that! I'm not sure if she enjoys the BANG! as the toy hits the floor or seeing me jump out of my skin in fright more.

Her cage does have lots of toys, both on the inside and outside. Some she completely ignores and some she destroys within hours. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it. I wish there was so I would make sure she always has toys she likes. She has 2 sand perches, a rope perch, a heated perch and a wood perch in her cage. She seems to prefer the sand perches. Her food and water dishes are always in the same spot. She drinks but rarely eats in her cage. Like most macs I have read about, she loves to make soup with her water. Food, toys, foraging paper, it all goes in. So icky to clean, but I guess it's fun for her.
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 09-22-2014 at 11:59 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Kendra,

How nice that Rosie is able to be out of her cage most of the day and hangout on her tree and stands. Lady gets to stay out only when I'm home from work and all day on my days off if I'm going to be home as well.

I started this thread to see if anyone has found that having certain things in particular places in the cage was better than moving them about. I'm sure most things are okay to move and more than likely things can also depend on where and why we have there cage at to begin with.

I am curious too if anyone has found that their bird has preferences. You know, likes and dislikes within where items are in the cage.

I have noticed that Lady will also dip some of her food into her water and some foods she likes to eat with me. Then there are foods she takes and puts into her bowl herself and eats there.
    Maybe as the days go forward and I finally decide which new cage we are going to get her, I will find things will change.

Maybe they are such loving sweet creatures that as long as they have access to what they need or want they are happy and don't really mind where things are placed.