User Tag List

Thread: Clover can be so mean

Hybrid View

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.

Clover can be so mean

I think this just might be a vent so I don't ring Clover's neck. He can be cage aggressive so a lot of times I will get him out with a stick or just let him come out on his own if he looks like he wants to bite. Once he's away from his cage he's really sweet. So today I put my arm in there and he lifted his foot so I thought "cool, he's going to be a good boy". NOT!! He started to put his foot on my arm, he also reached forward with his beak and as he was using his beak to climb up he got a hold of my skin and slowly and deliberately pinched really hard until it broke the skin. This is the second time he's done this and I fell for it again. Right now he's sitting on the kitchen counter by himself so I can continue to be nice to him when I go back.

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Ugh!! Gotta love the slow, deliberate chomps. I get those with direct eye contact, it's a killer!!

Hope your day gets better after Clovers timeout!
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    Ouch Kendra, It hurts bad enough with an Alexandrine beak. Ha! And you know exactly what I mean. Those little sh%*'s.

4. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (09-07-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh boy can I relate to this~ Lady also lifts her foot as if to be stepping up but I have also fallen for it too many times and now when she does it I just say foot or name whichever one she is lifting.
    Time out's are a big help, I know I get my fair share. Anyone know how long a time out should be for. Sometimes I need a good 15 to 20 minutes just to try and figure out what I did to deserve the bite.

Parrots

Lady, I think just a couple of minutes of time out for them, Might be a bit longer for us. As far as trying to figure out what you did to deserve it? Sometimes I think they make it up as they go so good luck with that. lol

This appeared to be flat out trickery. Either that or he changed his mind mid stream. My guys have their own styles of communicating no. Lilliputs will snap her head around and nip but it never even comes close to hurting. Poet will take my finger and push it away. I listen to them and try again in a few minutes. For the most part they give to my requests though. Even Clover is pretty good about it as long as he's not near his cage.
    Last edited by 2birds; 09-06-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Yes, your right 2birds, I need more time than she does sometimes. I am glad it is only a few minutes, it is impossible to stay away from them for more than that unless I'm not at home.

8. The following user likes this post:

2birds (09-08-2014)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Lori - it probably was a funny joke in Clovers mind. Gotta love a parrots sense of humor....NOT!
    Rosie & Kendra

10. The following user likes this post:

2birds (09-08-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Sounds like my male zon . I don't play games anymore and try to make him "'Learn". I just take him in and out with a stick[and things are fine. Pearl[my goffin] gets funny too . So I just take him out with a stick.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkbirdy View Post
    Sounds like my male zon . I don't play games anymore and try to make him "'Learn". I just take him in and out with a stick[and things are fine. Pearl[my goffin] gets funny too . So I just take him out with a stick.
    Yes, he really is a good boy once he's away from his house. From now on I will just use a stick and then there won't ever be any hard feelings from either of us. I think he is extra crabby from a molt as well.

13. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (09-08-2014)