User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My blue

Yeah he is adorable.. The bite just hurt lol

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by jane.davies.1690 View Post
    Well he's taking from my hand now but is biting me now and again and drew blood today... any advice
    What are the circumstances when he bites you? Does he do it when he's in his cage as you are handing him treats through the bars? Or does it happen under other conditions?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Hiya plax he does it in cage... He will come to the treat take it and move and then sometimes he just goes for my hand or finger... He doesn't lunge or squawk and I'm stuck as to what to do to stop it or should I just grin and bear it... through the cage he seems to be fine

I mean my hand is inside the cage when he nips... Could it be him being territorial or just a biter

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by jane.davies.1690 View Post
    I mean my hand is inside the cage when he nips... Could it be him being territorial or just a biter
    If he's not lunging at you, it may not be cage aggression. It could be a game to him instead. But I think it's more likely he may be afraid/distrustful of your hand when there's nothing between it, and him. Have you tried allowing him to come to a treat you are holding rather than reaching toward him with it? You might try holding a treat near his cage door to see if he will come over and take it from you.

Many birds are territorial about their cages, as you've suggested. A bird often considers his cage to be his safety zone where he can feel free from threats and have some control of his immediate environment. Any breach of that safety zone may be looked upon by such a bird as a serious threat. So when Blue bites you for placing your hand into his cage, it's likely either an action of warning or an action intended to vehemently defend his sanctum.

Some birds never fully overcome cage aggression. You may find that Blue is an entirely different parrot (personality wise) when he's out of his cage - once he's comfortable enough to come out of it, that is. Time, patience, and perseverance are essential.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    Clover is cage aggressive and he will lunge at me if I cross the line he has set. I just get a stick for him to step up to. He lunges and bites at the stick too sometimes but I just hold it in front of him and when he realizes the stick isn't moving he'll climb up on it. (note, I don't push the stick on him, I just hold it in front of him). Once out of his cage he is fine and has never bitten me anywhere else. He will take treats from me from his cage but I let him come and get it. Honestly, I think Clover would be better about it if I worked on it with him, I just haven't.
    I would just keep giving Blue treats and let him come get it. Teach him to step up in a room other than where his cage is. And above all, don't loose your patience because they will not forget.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (11-05-2014), plax (09-14-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Taking treats from your hand at the door is a good start, once Lady takes the treat into her mouth I would move my hand back a little to give her space and show that giving her the treat is all I wanted to do. I also waited for her to stay where she was when she took the food before I started leaving my hand in the same spot but it took time for her to learn that my hand was not going to do any harm to her. Moving your hand slowly is also important because right now she is not sure what your hand will do.

Some days when I am home all day I would feed her bits of her first meal by hand before putting the dish in the cage and letting her finish it up on her own. You have to hold the food so that they can't bite your fingers. Maybe something larger like a treat would be easier to hold and offer to her. I always give her her fruit from my hand and not in a dish because it is something she really likes and she seems to want it more than worry about me or what my hand was doing.

Lady is cage aggressive as well and will allow me to only go so far before she lets me know I'm not welcome there. Sometimes even on the Play top so I have learned to watch her body language. I prefer her to come to me, then I know she is more likely to be nice.

9. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-14-2014)

Parrots

Indian ringneck parrot and a yellow naped amazon
    The ringneck parrot is the best but I heard of horror stories about them bitting I got mine when he was a babby I hand fed him know he's a lover my best friend

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180502_163408.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	5196

I love Mr kermit so much excellent talker always saying peek a boo, the are the best birds going

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-26-2018), Lady (06-03-2018)