User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to open the cage

Time to open the cage

Had my little ringneck almost 3 weeks.. will take a treat from me when I put it through the cage... would I be better getting him a bit more tamer before I open his cage or just try it .. I don't want to scare him.. he's almost 5 months old

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hi Jane. How does he respond when you put your hand into the cage? Does he flutter and/or keep his distance from you? Does he lunge at you? And have you ever tried handing him treats through the open cage door?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following 2 users like this post:

2birds (09-01-2014), jtbirds (09-02-2014)

Hi play. . He ok when I put hand in and he has taken a treat twice but he still moves away after.. He doesn't lunge at me...

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by jane.davies.1690 View Post
    Hi play. . He ok when I put hand in and he has taken a treat twice but he still moves away after.. He doesn't lunge at me...
    You might try coaxing him to step up onto your hand or wrist with a treat while he's in his cage. If you can get him to do it, he'll likely start out with one foot and then step off right after he takes the treat. But it should allow him to learn that stepping onto your hand/wrist is no huge threat (at least after he's done it a few times). Once he becomes used to stepping up for treats while in his cage you can move on to allowing him out of his cage where you can perform the same 'step up for a treat' offering. If he begins stepping up while out of his cage, I think you'll be on the right track. But I wouldn't rush the process. Allow him to become comfortable with you at his own rate. Having patience is always helpful with these guys

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (02-07-2015), Mare (09-02-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Good advice, Tony. If you leave his door open while sitting and speaking quietly near-by, he may venture out on his own just to check things out. It's nice when they know how to come in and out of their cage and feel comfortable with it.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (02-07-2015), plax (09-02-2014)

Right.. he's out of the cage.. flies str8 to top of my head or shoulders... will also fly on to a covered arm perch there and take treat but as soon as he see s any of my flesh he bites aggressively and it hurts even though I try to ignore it... He either hates me or he's calling the shots and I'm at my wits end even though I love him to bits.. He has lots of out of cage time ... would clipping his wings help... I don't care how long it takes for him to stop biting... I love him whatever ... just need to know what to do next to improve things

Parrots

Hi Jane. Does he bite you after taking a treat? Or does he bite you as you're offering it to him?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Jane,

Do you want him to fly straight to your head? Will he not step up and let you walk him to a perch without biting your flesh? If he is still not stepping up will he step onto a perch or stick instead of your arm?

I'm sorry you are having a difficult time, but you're not alone. Training your baby not to bite is not something that happens overnight and needs to be worked on daily. Lady and I have been working for the last six months and still I miss something at times and get nipped. When this happens I have to stop and think about what happen and think why she felt uneasy that she had to nip at me.

I'm still working with trying to get Lady to step up onto my arm on command so to speak. But I really want her to step up because it means coming out and spending playtime either with me or on her own away and out from her cage. I have a dog rope pull toy hanging from the side of her cage and when she wants to come out to get treats or see what I have or what I am doing she climbs down from it to me. If she is wanting treats I have been giving her small bits from my fingers holding them so her beak doesn't touch my fingers but the treat only. We are now at the point where if she wants the treat she has to step onto my arm which is laying on a flat surface in front of the hand that is holding out the treat. This I have gotten her to do by giving her the treat little by little as she drew closer and closer to my arm just laying there. The first time she put just one foot slightly on my arm I opened my hand slowly and gave her what I call a jackpot of three treats at once. You could also have a even more desirable treat that he likes there as an extra reward along with much praise and joy in your voice. We have moved up progressively one step at a time where she will now stand on my arm while still laying on a flat surface to eat treats. I do this all while she is hungry and it is part of her meal so she doesn't become overweight.

Have you done any reading about Target Training, it might be helpful since it involves no direct touching of the skin and is quick about rewarding good behavior. I don't think he hates you and I think he is still learning what is acceptable to you and not really him calling the shots. You have to figure out just want you want from him and how to get him to get there one step at a time, fairly slowly and consistently.

What have you observed about Blues body language? Does this happen during the same time in his routine? Is it before or after he ate his meal or is he hungry? There are things you can do to examine the situation and understand what is happening in his eyes then thinking creatively to help him see it your way.

I hope this helps you gather your wits. I know how frustrating wanting to accomplish just a little bit to show you are on the right track cab be. YOU CAN DO IT!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (11-06-2014), spiritbird (11-06-2014)

He seems very angry last few weeks.. he's moulting and losing loads of down feathers and a couple of tail feathers... He knows when I have a treat for him .. He climbs down the cage and I say up and he goes on my arm but if he sees my hand at the bottom he goes str8 for it. I say no bite but he takes no notice lol.. I have the next few years to get it perfect but he is quite scarey at times.. He will sit on my head and snuggle but pecked my face the other day.. put him back in cage . Think I'm going to have to start again with my hand showing and take it from there. I guess I just want the bond between us.. Thanks for your advice. . Gonna try it

And I just know he thinks he's the boss lol