User Tag List

Thread: Training conure to stay on hand instead of ALWAYS climbing up to shoulder

Parrots

Kirby (cockatiel) and Maya (green-cheeked conure)

Training conure to stay on hand instead of ALWAYS climbing up to shoulder

We recently purchased a young green-cheeked conure. We haven't really had any behavioral issues with her. The only thing that I don't love is that every time you pick her up, she runs up to your shoulder (and it's basically impossible to keep her on your hand). I don't mind her being on my shoulder sometimes, but there are other times (especially when I'm going to work and wearing a nice shirt) that I really don't want her up there. Is there a good way to teach her to stay on a hand/finger instead of making a beeline for my shoulder? Or am I dreaming when I hope that it's possible?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I have an Umbrella cockatoo that always wanted to be in that "look-out spot" on my shoulder. I would block his ascent with my hand, just hold it (without touching him) in his way. I tend to think they may feel a bit safer there, on the shoulder. If you block, Maya, then give her scritches and love at that point,maybe this will help?

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I basically have the same advice as Mare. If you consistently intercept Maya with your opposite hand during her efforts to climb up your arm, in time she will likely accept that action as inevitable and thus quell her persistence. However, it could take a while for her to learn, since she's driven by an inherent urge. And being consistent with your interception efforts would be absolutely essential.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-25-2014)

Parrots

Kirby (cockatiel) and Maya (green-cheeked conure)
    Thank you! That's sort of what I was figuring, but I definitely don't trust my bird-training skills. I know she loves it up there (especially burrowing in my hair), but it's just not the best behavior at times. We'll see if we can change it or if I'll just have to learn to deal with it.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (08-25-2014), PlaxMacaws (08-25-2014)

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    If you hold your arm in a way that makes your hand the highest point that would help also. Hold your hand up with your elbow in a 'V' downward.

8. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-26-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I like that, Lori! A Gandolf staff will help hold this position, for sure! I've often thought about that! What we do for our birds is a wonderful thing!
    Amigo is a big boy and I did hold my hand higher than my shoulder, just to keep him up there (on my hand) but I didn't last long . I needed a staff!
    Last edited by Mare; 08-26-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Interesting idea. Lady has recently begun hanging out on me so this is something I will try as well . She likes to get up high but wearing glasses I'm not comfortable with her being so close to them.