User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poet went to work

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.

Poet went to work

I brought Poet to my job today. Thurs. and Fri. are my long days and I didn't want to leave her so long because she's such a baby. She isn't with the other birds right now because I'm keeping her separate until I know everything is ok so she wouldn't have much company. Also, I want her to be well socialized and try to be open minded of different kinds of people and different scenarios.
    It had it's pro and cons. She was in her travel cage on the car ride there and she climbed around a lot.
    I work outside so she stayed in the office in her travel cage which is much smaller than her permanent home. I did come in and check on her several times and she was just hanging out although I'm sure she would have appreciated a little more space. She spent lunch with us (about two hours). She liked all of the guys and went to everyone without fear so that was great. She loved hanging out with one of my coworkers Dave. Good pick, he's a great guy and a good friend. She chewed his ear for a while and got head scratches. On the ride home I just let her out once I got on the road. She loved it. She hung out on the top of her cage and preened, stretched, played with her toys, chewed the buttons on my shirt, chewed my ear and sassed me when I told her to stop it.
    I guess for the most part it was a success and I will probably do it again.

2. The following 5 users like this post:

kendrafitz (08-23-2014), Lady (08-23-2014), Mare (08-31-2014), nikol witch (10-17-2014), plax (08-23-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Your lucky you can do that I would love to bring mine but [cant cause of the fumes ]. Im a hairstylist
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    It sounds like quite a fulfilling day for both Poet and yourself as far as the socialization adventure aspect, Lori. I have a feeling that she's going to develop as a well-adjusted, friendly bird who loves life and people . It's a big new world for that little girl! I'm sure that you and she will enjoy a wonderful life together. One note of caution... Please be extremely careful when she's loose within your traveling vehicle. A collision or an abruptly short stop can easily turn a bird into a projectile and end up in fatality.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Abby (10-27-2014), Macaw Lover (09-06-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Did you have anyone there that was afraid of birds?

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    I think for the most part she had a good time. Tony, I thought of that. I take the interstate to work because it's faster. Going home I take to the country roads, virtually no cars at all. I know it's no guarantee, but she was flippin' over that little cage for the day. Bottom line is I'll have to get a bigger cage for the office if she is going to go with me, that way the travel cage won't bother her so much. She was just in it for too long.
    Spritibird, it was funny. There was one young man there who I think was afraid but his pride wouldn't let him admit to it (his email is SuperStar), lol. He was commenting on how sharp her talons looked (which they're not) and he finally put his arm out to hold her. She climbed up and just sat there while his eyes were clenched shut. She didn't have any desire to get any closer either like she did with everyone else. At least he had the courage to try it.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (08-23-2014), Mare (08-31-2014), plax (08-23-2014)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    This is wonderful news and I am so very glad you guys post such things. It is a great help to everyone who reads these adventures. It teaches, as well as encourage from what you have experienced and what others reply.

Loving this site every time I log on!

10. The following 3 users like this post:

2birds (08-23-2014), Mare (08-31-2014), plax (08-23-2014)

Parrots

Speaking of traveling with birds, it reminds me of the scenario of when my mother and I were moving from southern California to Minnesota.
    I was 15 and was riding with my mother in a pickup truck pulling a travel trailer. The dogs were in the back of the truck with a topper on it and the birds were in the travel trailer. We had a DYH amazon and a chattering lory. My uncle and his daughter were driving in front of us pulling a u-haul type trailer. We were traveling across the desert and my mom was getting hit pretty hard with allergies so she took a contact. Remember those allergy pills that would put you to sleep? Well, needless to say, she started getting drowsy and eyes closing and she started heading towards the edge of the road. She snapped out of it but over corrected and the trailer started jackknifing. The truck was rolling on two wheels for a couple of seconds and then went back down but the trailer hitch ball broke and we lost the trailer. It ended up all over the road. We leaped out of the truck, went running back there to find stuff everywhere, it was horrible. Well, Cleo the amazon was in her fully intact stainless steel cage, not a feather out of place and she was fine. Custer the lory was in his cage but it was smashed flat as a pancake except for one little corner and that was where he was at. He was bleeding so I ripped the cage open and grabbed him. I just held him while he bit the snot out of me. I ran over to the truck got in and let him go. When he finally calmed down I was able to look at him closer to discover that he broke a feather and that was where the blood was coming from.
    After the mess got cleaned up and my mom got a ticket we were on our way. We stopped at the first vet we could find to have the birds checked out and buy a new cage and eventually made it to MN. with everyone alive.
    The moral of the story is, those cages saved their lives for sure. It certainly was a horrible experience but nothing too important was lost.

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-31-2014)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by 2birds View Post
    Speaking of traveling with birds, it reminds me of the scenario of when my mother and I were moving from southern California to Minnesota.
    I was 15 and was riding with my mother in a pickup truck pulling a travel trailer. The dogs were in the back of the truck with a topper on it and the birds were in the travel trailer. We had a DYH amazon and a chattering lory. My uncle and his daughter were driving in front of us pulling a u-haul type trailer. We were traveling across the desert and my mom was getting hit pretty hard with allergies so she took a contact. Remember those allergy pills that would put you to sleep? Well, needless to say, she started getting drowsy and eyes closing and she started heading towards the edge of the road. She snapped out of it but over corrected and the trailer started jackknifing. The truck was rolling on two wheels for a couple of seconds and then went back down but the trailer hitch ball broke and we lost the trailer. It ended up all over the road. We leaped out of the truck, went running back there to find stuff everywhere, it was horrible. Well, Cleo the amazon was in her fully intact stainless steel cage, not a feather out of place and she was fine. Custer the lory was in his cage but it was smashed flat as a pancake except for one little corner and that was where he was at. He was bleeding so I ripped the cage open and grabbed him. I just held him while he bit the snot out of me. I ran over to the truck got in and let him go. When he finally calmed down I was able to look at him closer to discover that he broke a feather and that was where the blood was coming from.
    After the mess got cleaned up and my mom got a ticket we were on our way. We stopped at the first vet we could find to have the birds checked out and buy a new cage and eventually made it to MN. with everyone alive.
    The moral of the story is, those cages saved their lives for sure. It certainly was a horrible experience but nothing too important was lost.
    That's quite an experience. I'm so glad that neither of your birds, nor you or your mom, were seriously injured! As you obviously know, things might have turned out far worse.

I remember those Contact capsules with their "tiny time pills" (visible through the clear half)
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow Lori, just reading your post gave me butterflies in my stomach. I know when I took my dogs to the vet they always wore a harness and were seat belted. It saved me from many situations that could of been a disaster as well.

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I'm so happy that Poet had fun at work with you. It must be so much fun to,have her there!
    Rosie & Kendra

16. The following user likes this post:

2birds (08-29-2014)