User Tag List

Thread: Friendly behavior / acceptable behavior

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

Question Friendly behavior / acceptable behavior

Good Morning Everyone,

Hope you are all having a great start to your day. I know Rome wasn't built in a day and all things take time but I'm wanting to learn what is considered friendly/acceptable behavior when interacting with your baby?
    Where does it start when things were new? Do you wait for them to come to you, or do you go to them? Is there a thread on this I could read? Or a link perhaps? Maybe everyone is different in what approach should be taken.

I have noticed sometimes when I give Lady something like a stick of apple wood or a block of wood she will take it differently.... today the stick was taken gently from me and chewed by her right away, when I offered a larger colored block she pulled it away from me, kind of like snatched it away. A piece of coconut shell was accepted nicely and she played with it for a minute then I guess got board of it because she can not do much as far as breaking it down. Is the way they accepts different things something you note as she likes it and wants it at the time it is offered?

Then I am wondering if I am interacting to early with her. She has eaten, and came to the perch at the door of her cage making little noises and moving side to side....to me this is body language that she wants me to open the cage.

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Hi Alice. It's been my experience that most parrots -certainly most Macaws- go in and out of moods and modes. They can easily become anxious or bored about various situations, and do so to the point of insistence or aggression in some cases. I'm guessing that the "moving side to side" body language you have described from Lady probably means just what you think it does: that she wants some freedom. It's probably an indicator that she's feeling bored at the moment.

In my opinion, approaches from both sides are healthy in a developing relationship. At times she will approach you; other times you will want to approach her. And once you get a better feel for her moods/body language, initiating these interactions should come much easier for both of you.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-16-2014)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Friendly behavior / acceptable behavior

Alice - when I first started my journey with Rosie I got tons of great advice.

One of the first things I did (and still do both with Rosie and parrots I meet) is mimic their behavior. In other words, if Lady tilts her head, you do the same. If she stretches to the side, do it with her. It generally works well and it is now a game for Rosie.

I talked all the time, pretty much narrating what I was doing. Just like I did with the kids. When she did anything new I made a big deal, lots of Ooohs and Aaaahs. Think of Lady as a toddler. The same happy body language and voice tone is received well.

Also gave my girl lots of pine nuts and pistachios while hanging out with her. Just because.

The way they take things from you doesn't mean a lot to me. Sometimes Rosie is in a sweet mood and sometimes in a bratty mood. Rarely has much to do with the object I am giving her. Unless it is an apple, her favorite. She actually thinks it's fun to take something from me and toss it, repeatedly. Think fetch, but me as the fetcher.

What you describe sounds as if Lady does want to interact. Rosie comes out of her cage around the same time daily. It can go one of two ways. She will step up from her perch and sweetly take a ride to her tree. Or....she will growl at my hand and race as fast as she can out and to the top of her cage. She then paces, flapping and screaming. After a few minutes, she comes to me, sweet as pie, and we go to her tree. I never know which way it will go. Just like my kids, she keeps me on my toes.

As time goes on you will get to know her body language well. That will help and take a lot of the guesswork out. It's a learning process I guess.
    Rosie & Kendra

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-10-2016), Lady (08-16-2014), Mare (07-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Well we've come a long way since this thread and I am most grateful for the advice even today. I reread both your replies when I'm feeling like I don't know what she is feeling and then I take a deep breath and try again. I often wonder what makes their moods change so quickly and wonder if Dr. Pepperberg or anyone has done any papers or blogs on it. I'm searching the net for more information other than hormonal changes. If I should come across anything that seems helpful I will post it here.

7. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-09-2016), kendrafitz (07-09-2016), Mare (07-10-2016), plax (07-09-2016)