User Tag List

Thread: example of reaction to courteous concern-driven bird safety warnings

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

example of reaction to courteous concern-driven bird safety warnings

The following webpage contains a message exchange that ensued after someone posted media content depicting a Cockatoo and a cat engaged in physical interaction:

http://cuteoverload.com/2008/12/30/i-shall-pet-you/

I think the dialog therein demonstrates how a great many folks tend to place their own gratifications above affording reasonable and necessary protection for pets from potentially lethal situations. If you read through the exchange, you should notice just how many of the responders proceed to rationalize and/or ignore the genuinely harmful potentials involved. They make general statements of rebuttal, suggesting that all risks are equal. The difference in probability among various forms of mishap goes unacknowledged within said statements. In many cases they even lash out at those offering the courteous warnings. And therein lies the problem with the friendly warning-then-drop-it philosophy. Typically, the rationalizers will jump in after such a warning has been posted and smother its validity with personal criticisms and shallow reasoning. When this occurs, what's often left is a barrage of comments that trivialize any well-intentioned warnings, which may thus encourage readers toward unsafe pet practices.

Most of the folks who posted the valid warnings are right on point with reality. I commend their efforts in that regard. But unfortunately, these one-time comments usually become buried with remarks of opposition. That's why I have been a firm believer in challenging such opposition with facts and supporting evidence.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

94lt1 (08-18-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    There is a video on FB with a cockatoo feeding a dog spaghetti from a pot on the stove. It's adorable to watch AND dangerous for the bird. Some of my friends sent me this video, thinking of me, knowing how much I love my birds. I was torn..should I SAY something to enlighten/reprimand them?..or should I thank them for thinking of me. I'm guilty of thanking them. They do know how I feel in this regard, though.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I was torn..should I SAY something to enlighten/reprimand them?..or should I thank them for thinking of me. I'm guilty of thanking them.
    Why not do both? Not reprimand them, but enlighten them and thank them. A heartfelt explanation can go a long way toward clarifying an issue. In my view, any promotion of such a media item is potentially contributory to the future harm of a pet bird (1 or more). It depends upon who passes the material on to whom, and whether it ends up inspiring more bird-harmful situations.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 2 users like this post:

2birds (08-20-2014), Mare (08-19-2014)