User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Critically Ill Member

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    There are no words
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    r.i.p I am very sorry for this loss to the bird world and for the family.

She was a very special woman who loved her birds and her daughter Season so very much. I am hoping she has found her Princess Mitch (Tiel) and they are flying free together, each with their own set of wings.

Rest In Peace sweet Anne

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (07-22-2014), plax (07-22-2014), spiritbird (07-22-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I am so sad today because there was a posting saying Anne passed away at 6. Do not know if that was am or pm.

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    My condolences to those who knew this lady, it sounds like she was very much loved. It's always hard to lose someone that you care about deeply.

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (07-22-2014)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I'm having a very difficult time with Anne's passing, despite that I hadn't known her long and didn't know her well. Anne and her situation have been reminiscent of a special friend of mine who passed away a bit over 2 years ago . For someone such as Anne to suddenly fall deathly ill and consequently become forced to leave cherished dependents to fate's will is one of the worst things imaginable for me. My information is that Anne's bird's were taken to the local humane society in her area... does anyone know if that's correct?

Below is the quoted text and a photo from one of Anne's posts that she submitted here in early February a day after she became a member:

Quote Originally Posted by Anne & Gang View Post
    On June 14/2011 we went to a well known pet store in Mississauga Ontario to purchase bird food & supplies. There were some very cute puppies for sale and some beautiful reptiles. Of course we looked at them all & they seemed well kept. Then we went to look at the birds..The story changed. The birds were all in very small cages and a lot of them were very raggy looking. There was a huge glassed in aviary with a big sign on the front "Flighted non tame budgies & tiels" I looked inside and there was a huge trellace like ladder leaning against a wall, some kind of shavings all over the floor and food and water on the floor. At least 50 budgies and tiels were in there all flying around, sleeping, fighting. . a lot of them with missing tail feathers etc. For some reason my eye was drawn to a movement on the floor. I saw a tiny little tiel scrabbling around trying to get on the ladder. As he got on the ladder at least 4 or 5 budgies came over and pecked him in the head. He kept attempting the ladder & it was then I noticed his bum foot. He finally made it onto the ladder and was slowly climbing as he was attacked by even more budgies...He had only part of a crest and no tail feathers at all. Hubby said he could not watch & went to the front of the store. As the little tiel finally made it to the top a huge budgie came and landed on him and was pecking his head so hard..that is when I started screaming for the clerk. the clerk came running over & I said "don't you think you should separate him". The stupid clerk said "oh, he gets by:- Hubby took one look and said :get him out of there..We are buying him". The clerk put him in a box & we brought him to the cash. I commented on him and the manager of the store said, "oh it is survival of the fittest, just like in the wild" I thought hubby was going to jump over the counter and kill her. But we kept our cools because we wanted to get him out of there. We brought him home , set up a spare cage we had & put him in..He ate like a little demon..We tried to adjust that cage to fit his needs but it was just not the right cage. As we were looking him over, it became horrifyingly apparent that he had not one bum leg, but two..and he was covered in wounds. We could barely sleep hoping he would be ok in the cage. Next day hubby went out and bought a rodent cage..all flat. We hit on the idea of putting newspapers on top of Samantha's flat cage top and also on Princess Mitch's cage top. & no we did not quarantine. The pet store presented us with a vet check certificate & that vet check said that he was fine but they recommended he be kept separate.(obviously the pet store ignored the vet's suggestions.) We knew we should have quarantined anyway but we were just so incredibly anxious and distraught over this tiel. We had never seen anything like it in our lives. We named him Maxwell @ when we first put him on Samantha's cage top with food & water right there, we thought he would be nervous..after all he was a "wild tiel". But no, he settled right in and would eat in a little circle. He was not afraid of us at all..just seemed so incredibly grateful to be alive & out of that hell hole.

We brought him to the vet..amazingly enough the same vet the pet store used. The vet was surprised to see him still alive! He remembered the little guy & was not surprised that the pet store had not separated him. Unfortunately, the vet had reported this pet store but the main thing here seems to be as long as the birds have food & water..that kind of crap seems totally acceptable. The vet put him on 10 days of antibiotics to clear up any infections he might have from the peck marks..said he was about 6 months old (had been in that pet store for months!!) one foot paralyzed and the other not usable..He has no real toes..they are lumps and he cannot walk on his claws at all..he walks on his heels. The vet said his wings were very malformed & he doubted the little guy would ever fly. Otherwise he got a clean bill of health. Well we thought Maxwell's days wou ld be limited to the cage tops (we brought him out of the cage every morning & put him in at night)..He spotted our big girl tiel, Princess Mitch. We got her from the humane society in Dec 2009 - a 133 gram beautiful pearl girlie. She also seemed to like him...

Well it was love at first sight..Then he started to sing..we were astonished..how loud & wonderful his songs...Then one day Princess Mitch flew over to the fridge..and Lord Maxwell followed..We both burst into tears..He could fly!!!! At first it was pretty shaky & he used to skid to stop but he got more & more used to it..so every flat top in our apartment became his territory. & the love between Princess Mitch & him grew. They were always together. It was very heart warming. We thought there was no way on earth he could ever mate with her...they were up on the bookcase one day & he was doing his beak rapping, heart wings, singing. He managed to lever himself over onto a rock that my hubby keeps up there for a display..and she crouched down..THEY MATED..my goodness once he figured it out there was no stopping him. We used to sit & cheer him on. We got false eggs & subbed. After the first batch I flooded the nest (just a paper towel) & Mitchie never laid another egg. Maxwell became Lord Maxwell Studmuffin. Unfortunately, in August this year, Mitchie suddenly died. She was eggbound..she showed no signs of laying an egg and seemed complately healthy. I was devasted as was Lord Maxwell. He cried for her & looked everywhere for at least a month. He still looks for her but has calmed down. He is friends with our other tiel Samantha but she is NOT interested in him as a friend with benefits. He is a happy little VERY LOUD little sweetheart...and we love this little handicapped man with all our hearts. I will never regret paying the ransom to free him from that terrible place he was in. Her is a pic in which you can see his bad feet very well.

Does anyone know what will (or has) become of Lord Maxwell? Since he is/was a crippled bird, my fear is that they will/have put him down . I hope so very much that that's not the case

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (07-22-2014), spiritbird (07-22-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    At least there is some good news here. Ann's parakeets are with an AA member now and the cockatiels are with another member. This member is giving frequent updates in the thread Budgies Moving Forward. No news from the member who took her tiels.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 07-22-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    At least there is some good news here. Ann's parakeets are with an AA member now and the cockatiels are with another member. This member is giving frequent updates in the thread Budgies Moving Forward. No news from the member who took her tiels.
    Thank you very much for that, Dianne! Hopefully this means that all of Anne's birds have been adopted by AA members? Including Maxwell? If you would, may I ask that you please post an update on the tiels if/when you learn something more? It's much appreciated!