If we want to be simplistic, there are three species of Capes although, in reality, they have (recently) been split into two families, meaning there is really only one true Cape.

Therefore, when people mention having a "Cape", the likeliness of it being a true Cape is slim to none, they generally have one of the other two species from the "new" family.

The real Cape, or Poicephalus robustus, is the one that is critically endangered in Africa and I do not believe that any breeding pairs have been imported in North America. In their natural habitat, they are found in the South of Africa. Their head tends to be of a brownish colour and, if I remember right, they are slightly smaller than their close cousins.

What will generally be found as pets in North America is either the Brown-necked parrot, or Poicephalus fuscicollis fuscicollis, or the Grey-headed parrot, or Poicephalus fuscicollis suahelicus. The former is generally found in the North West of Africa and the latter in the South East (but more north than the distribution for the true Cape).

Compared to the true Cape, both the Brown-necked parrot and the Grey-headed parrot have a more silver coloured head, which I find is the easiest way to tell adults apart. All three are sexually dimorphic, the adult hens retaining a coral band of feathers on their head (which is present on all juveniles).

Both the Brown-necked parrot and the Grey-headed parrot seem to be present in the US, although I seem to find more owners on forums that have the Brown-necked species. In Canada, I believe all breeders (and there aren't many) have the Grey-headed species.

I wanted to keep this short and just quickly explain the differences, but please, if you have any questions ask away and I will try to answer