User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm considering something...

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

I'm considering something...

Since Precisely Parrots is no longer a thriving community, and because the recent boycott/exodus by our formerly active members has predominantly stemmed from certain maliciously crafted false facts which they were fed by certain individuals, I'm considering changing permissions on our administrator discussion thread so that everyone will be able to browse, search and read what really happened. If I do this, all registered members and guests will be able to access the conversations that were truly happening behind the scenes (i.e., who said just what and how each of us responded).

The thread contains a humongous history of events dating back to the inception of Precisely Parrots in early 2013. There are 826 pages comprising 8,259 separate posts. If I decide to unlock the thread it will be permissioned as read-only and it will be entirely searchable. If this is in fact done, anyone who cares to take the time to research any particular incident relating to this forum site, dating back to the very first post submitted on March 3, 2013, will find that many of the claims leveled against me are in fact either inaccurate, or just plain false. They will also learn the genuine opinions on many topics from myself and each of my co-administrators (there were three of us when we went live in April of 2013).

Please be mindful that this thread is NOT private, meaning that it is NOT, nor has it ever been designated or represented as a private exchange of messages. So it follows that none of the posts contained therein are 'private messages'. The thread is merely permissioned for a particular usergroup on this forum site, nothing more. I can easily change that permission status. And I really see nothing to lose since everyone is already angry anyway.

Speaking of anger, it's difficult for me not to feel bitter toward those who have fabricated false facts and twisted others to suit their purpose in vilifying me. Especially considering that said efforts have considerably slandered my reputation with bird forum folks. Sometimes the best thing to do when one cannot combat false claims hurled behind their back is to disclose all of the relevant documents. And there are plenty of those in this case! Since it would be enormously time-consuming as well as impractical to try and parse all of the pertinent exchanges contained within the thread at issue, the simplest thing may be to allow anyone who's interested to read whatever they wish. Right now it seems that this is perhaps my only option to defend myself against a number of the false facts used against me. There is one caveat to making this thread public, however. If I proceed to grant general access permission to the thread, even if I tell the search engine crawlers to ignore it, there will undoubtedly still be certain spider bots that persist to access and archive posts therein. That means that portions of the thread will likely become permanently cached on certain websites. So effectively I won't ever be able to 'turn it off'. And that's one of the reasons I'm not jumping to this step before thinking it over carefully.

I haven't made my decision yet about publicizing the thread. I wish I didn't have to even consider it. I wish it hadn't come to this. I feel that I have little more to lose, though... and there's no other way to defend myself against the privately conveyed slander
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Oh, please don't. Seriously considering leaving this forum for good if we can't just get past this. I don't even want to repeat the ridiculous story I just got an earful of in a pm. If every time I turn on a certain channel it has something sad/upsetting on it, I will eventually stop...

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Macaw Lover (06-27-2014), Mare (06-27-2014)

Parrots

Josie - B&G macaw
    I'm lost here. I know the gist of what happened but isn't it done and over with already? Can't we just move on? At this point, does it really matter who said what to whom? Personally, I don't see how unlocking those exchanges will change anyone's opinion. I'm sorry for what happened here because even though I wasn't always active, I did browse through every day and read what was new with everyone's flock. If you were to unlock those exchanges, I would not take the time to read them. At this point, I think that everyone already has an opinion on the situation and this will just prolong the recovery of this forum.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

jacksmom (06-27-2014), Macaw Lover (06-27-2014), Mare (06-27-2014)

Agreed!!!!

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Duly noted on your feelings, Grace and Anita. Please be mindful of two things, though. First, it's easy for onlookers to say "Please STOP the drama already!" for the simple fact that they have not been personally slandered to a point of having their friendships destroyed and their name tarnished among a community of folks, and with an effect of nearly everyone placing as much distance between me (this forum site) and themselves as possible. It's really a catch-22 situation for me because there are few, if any, ways to defend myself against the statements leveled against me to folks in private which have caused this huge exodus and collective avoidance. As such, my only available defensive options involve challenging those slanderous statements (the ones I'm aware of at least) with real facts. But whenever I attempt this without supporting evidence, folks grow even more weary of the situation and hold my defensive efforts against me. Since most folks are already angry (even more so than the two of you), and because a relatively huge number of them have thus ceased using this forum site and/or communicating with me... and since as a result this forum site is most likely beyond the point of return in terms of ever again holding a sizable active engagement of members, it can be looked upon that there's little more to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    I don't even want to repeat the ridiculous story I just got am earful of in a pm. If every time I turn on a certain channel it has something sad/upsetting on it, I will eventually stop...
    I suspect that the "earful" you speak of, Grace, may be the very thing I'm speaking of concerning the slanderous statements behind my back that are intended to keep folks at odds with me and thus deter them from using this forum site any longer. And that's the kind of thing that's been so harmful and which I'm unable to easily defend against... because it has been done privately, but with far-reaching effect! That effect has been quite impactful, as you can see from the level of abandonment on this website.

So the question becomes, do I go with my only available tools to defend myself from this continuing stream of slanderous assertions, since neither the use of this website nor my reputation among avian message board folks will likely ever recover to a reasonable point? Or do I simply accept the unjust vilification and fade away without resistance? What would you do? As stated in my OP, obviously I haven't yet made my final decision on whether to reveal the mentioned thread.

Thanks for the feedback.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

94lt1 (06-27-2014), jacksmom (06-27-2014), Kallaste (02-19-2015)

Please keep in mind that this link isn't directed at you personally...just something that maybe all involved should read over and over until they see fit to just let this die. And you do have something to loose...the posts of the people that are trying to help liven up the forum again, and not dwell in the past that yes, we were not involved in. If you have already lost these other people, why should they matter?

http://tinybuddha.com/blog/avoid-get...d-to-be-right/

And for goodness sake, cheer up! If there is one thing I know about forums - if there is a few people still trying, they always come back to life. Maybe different, but what of it?
    Last edited by jacksmom; 06-27-2014 at 01:02 PM.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

2birds (06-28-2014), kendrafitz (06-27-2014), Macaw Lover (06-27-2014), Mare (06-27-2014)

Oh, and there was nothing slanderous about the pm, really...just giving me information I didn't ask for, or want. Then again, if you are any type of reasonable person with a brain (I consider myself so, usually) you wouldn't put any stock in the pms of folks who are leaving a forum because of something they didn't like...yet they never...actually...leave... Same thing happened in a forum I sponsor with my business...everyone got all in a tizzy, the board was dead for a month or so...then what do ya know, most of the people never left at all, and new ones came to replace them, anyway. They don't post as frequently, and use another board "more", but in the end, old habits die hard, and they always check back.

And reputations on bird forums...I suspect it is the same as with reef forums. Thinking individuals beginning their forum browsing don't really care what a clique of old timers think about another individual...unless they see some proof to agree with.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (06-27-2014), Mare (06-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    Please keep in mind that this link isn't directed at you personally...just something that maybe all involved should read over and over until they see fit to just let this die. And you do have something to loose...the posts of the people that are trying to help liven up the forum again, and not dwell in the past that yes, we were not involved in. If you have already lost these other people, why should they matter?

http://tinybuddha.com/blog/avoid-get...d-to-be-right/

And for goodness sake, cheer up! If there is one thing I know about forums - if there is a few people still trying, they always come back to life. Maybe different, but what of it?
    I so agree. What happened here is not right. People will have made their decisions on which way to go and unfortunately you will not be able to change peoples minds I fear. I can understand you wanting to get your side out there but will it really and truly change things? I seriously doubt it.

At this point I am worried about what this is doing to you personally. Do not allow them to continue to torture you as that is what it looks like the ultimate goal is. YOU have control over that and it is up to YOU to no longer allow it. I have seen enough of bird forums fall apart and for the reasons this one is does not seem right. You have put your blood, sweat and tears into getting it up and running and for the reason that it was started in the first place, to have it fall apart for that very same reason was not right and those involved need to live with themselves. I have always said: Pay back is really a bitch, especially when I am not involved.

You have my phone number, if you want to talk, call me tomorrow evening when I will be home. Gotta get my work started so I can still have a pay check.

14. The following 4 users like this post:

jacksmom (06-27-2014), kendrafitz (06-27-2014), Mare (06-27-2014), plax (06-27-2014)

Administrator

Parrots

I understand that you aren't necessarily directing the message from your link to me specifically, Grace. But I'm sure there are many who view me in that light. So I have to again emphasize that it's not 'a need to be right' with me. It has instead been a need to protect as many companion birds as possible from unnecessary demise! Nothing more. And it has always been about the birds for me, despite that certain disgruntled individuals flipped it around and campaigned to make it appear that it's really been about me. Again, it would be hard for anyone to understand unless they have personally experienced this type of social assault as a diversion from their well-intended efforts to protect someone or something. As I've said, it's easy for onlookers to say "just drop it!" when it's not they who are facing the predicament.

As for forums recovering... I can tell you that it's not an easy, or, in some cases, even a possible thing to do. It took a huge amount of combined effort to get to the point we attained in one year. It was a combination of social promotion (largely on Wendy's part - credit where credit is due) and development of search engine ranking (one of my contributions), and of course reliance on the friendships we already held with folks from other bird forums. But once those folks have been tarnished against you -once they have been lost, as you say- there's not a lot of resource available to generate replacement members. Most people already have their favorite forums and social hangouts... then considering the black cloud currently hanging over PP, it doesn't look at all good recovery-wise. This message board is not designed for a mere three or four people to use. And that's the best it can likely be for a long while to come.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom
    Then again, if you are any type of reasonable person with a brain (I consider myself so, usually) you wouldn't put any stock in the pms of folks who are leaving a forum because of something they didn't like...yet they never...actually...leave...
    It's not a matter of putting stock in such PMs... it's a matter of the obvious effect that such PMs and emails have had on the members of this forum site. Obviously those private communications have been a hugely negative factor for this place since the bulk of formerly active users here joined in with the boycott. And your implication is that your recent PM exchange with someone (who has not yet left here) in fact shared with you that they are leaving this website because of something they don't like. And I can guess who that something may be. If that's the case, it just goes to bolster my point about the negatives people have been spreading and their impactful effect

But again, thanks for your feedback, Grace

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    I feel that people should be able to know the truth of what's transpired.. And see everything for what it is.. THEN at least all of the cards will be on the table..

I say go for it man..

17. The following user likes this post:

Kallaste (02-19-2015)