User Tag List

Thread: Personal Announcement and Update on Precisely Parrots

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

Personal Announcement and Update on Precisely Parrots

UPDATE (6/26/14)

To everyone who has failed to support my stance on bird protection...

Do you really think that a little bird with a name and a personality, who is unimaginably terrified as his flesh is being severed by the sharp teeth of a cat or a dog, cares about your social compliance with friends? Do you think that this little bird, whose owner saw a cute photo posted on a website and thus thought it okay to create her own similar "adorable" scenario with her own pets, and who's now petrified with terror as he dies in agony, places any value on your priority of being socially correct by passively ignoring the real potential for situations like his? Or, for that matter, do you think he values any of your reasons for having taken no action to curtail perpetuation of this horrible phenomenon, such as your insistence on keeping your social interactions with friends on a positive path? Do you think the little bird described above should feel that your having merely stated you care about bird safety once or twice has been enough, and that it means you truly care?

Ask yourself if you can genuinely feel comfortable about your answers to the above questions. It escapes me how anyone with a heart could feel comfortable about such inaction, especially for social reasons. I'm absolutely appalled to think that many of you are able to justify your inaction in this regard, all because you want to get along with your friends who, like yourselves, don't consider the rampant threat of copycat pet bird endangerment enough of a priority to take a firm stance against. Perhaps you simply view the matter as not *your* problem... I'm unsure exactly what runs through your minds. But in any case, I find your unwillingness to act far beyond shameful!

What if those little birds being subjected to such horrible life-threatening situations were small human children? If real human kids were placed at similar risk, would you feel any different concerning the need for a firm voice against the practice? If your answer is "yes", or perhaps "that's entirely different", or if you are angered because I've posed this question, then it's essentially the same as if you are saying "it's just a bird" because you are setting a double standard between pet birds and human children.

And one last set of questions for those of you who claim there are better methods than active and aggressive content screening to effectively protect companion birds from the socially-crazed ignorance of pet owners who persist in placing innocent lives at risk because they enjoy the scenes when others do so... Exactly what are these "better" methods? And where and when have they been successful? Better yet, please show me a single case instance in which someone has actually eliminated the dangerous practices they've previously imposed upon a bird in response to those "better" methods! Saying that a method is better is one thing; whereas evidence that something works better is an entirely different thing. In my experience, folks simply ignore 'kind warnings' about not allowing companion birds and predatory pets to physically intermingle. And, believe me, I've been around for a while.

I am not someone who can be part of a social group among which members opt to look the other way instead of standing firmly against this sort of unspeakable brutality. I've put my heart into Precisely Parrots. I've tried to build it around my philosophy that each of our birds should be loved and cherished enough to be afforded protection from avoidable tragedy. Unfortunately in this world of ours too many people treat pet birds as objects, or toys, or social tools. And most folks who truly love and adequately protect their own birds will not involve themselves with actions of advocacy for birds owned by others, often to a point of even refusing to acknowledge the vast extent of reckless endangerment perpetrated upon companion birds by pet owners around the world. As far as willingness on the part of content sharing website management personnel to aggressively screen out potentially bird-harmful materials, disappointingly it's the "that's too bad but I don't want to think about it" attitude which tends to continually prevail. So the short answer is that people simply don't care enough.

I've done everything I can do. Precisely Parrots is now virtually inactive. It shall idle on as a grim reminder of human apathy.

He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

94lt1 (06-27-2014)