User Tag List

Thread: Presenting Joey

Parrots

Piper ~ Peachface Lovebird; Shade ~ Senegal Parrot; Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied Parrots; Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's Parrot; Léa ~ Cape Parrot

Presenting Joey - Red-bellied parrot

Joey is my 8 year old male Red-bellied parrot.

I got him in March 2008, just before his third hatchday.

At the time, I had just moved in with my SO. I wasn't exactly looking for a new bird, being quite happy that Shade and Piper got along (when I lived with my parents, both were on different floors of the house) and I wasn't looking to change the balance I had.

However, for whatever reason, I ended up looking at classified ads and eventually stumbled upon the one where Joey was advertised. It was an old ad, but I sent an email anyway. I figured he was most likely sold by that point and that, since the ad had gone so far down, the seller just didn't bother to delete it.

But Joey was still available and, it just so happens that I knew the seller through the local Parrot Club.

My SO and I went to visit Joey, unfortunately that visit was during a week night and Joey was actually more than ready to go to bed. So we arranged to go back during the week-end, during the day. That visit went really well, but I was still very much on the fence about disrupting the balance at home. It's my SO who actually said we could manage and therefore we returned that day with money and brought Joey home.

We were told that he he was being birdsat in the past, that it would take him a day or so to be comfortable and be 'himself', so to not be surprised if he was the same on the first day home.

It couldn't be further from the truth. I wanted to give him a chance to get acclimated to his new surroundings from his cage and he wanted to be out with us...so he came out.

The first day home with us -

He initially had a preference for my SO, has his former owner was a men and his wife at the time did NOT like Joey so I figured he picked up on that. However, a few months in, he didn't have a preference for either of us anymore

He does live up to the RB reputation for being clowns - he makes us laugh a lot. He's also quite the social butterfly and will flirt with any strangers we present to him.

More recent pictures -

Last edited by Shade; 04-28-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Edited title

2. The following 2 users like this post:

aliray (04-27-2013), Pinkbirdy (04-27-2013)

Joey is adorable.

He certainly seems to be happy

Parrots

Tiki,african redbellied, Sweetie Pie quaker, Chiquita, yellow sided gcc, Lucas, spanish timbrado canary
    How sweet. I have a little female named Tiki ,who I also bought from Craigslist when she was about 5 mo old. and because of her redbellied parrots are now my favorites. Joey is beautiful

Parrots

Piper ~ Peachface Lovebird; Shade ~ Senegal Parrot; Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied Parrots; Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's Parrot; Léa ~ Cape Parrot
    Thank you!
    I actually also have a little female Red-bellied, who happens to be one of Joey's older sister (by a few months)