User Tag List

Thread: Presenting Shade

Parrots

Piper ~ Peachface Lovebird; Shade ~ Senegal Parrot; Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied Parrots; Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's Parrot; Léa ~ Cape Parrot

Presenting Shade

Shade is my 7 year old Senegal hen. She's my second parrot, and one of the few birds I got as a baby.

After I got Piper (Lovebird), I inevitably thinking about a second parrot so I started researching high and wide about what should be the next species I get. I wasn't in a hurry, although I think that pretty early on I figured that a Poicephalus would be a good fit for me. At the time, I was in doing my last Undergrad year, so I figured I would get my new parrot once I was done (which meant more or less a year after I got Piper).

My mother knew of my research (she's also into parrots and, by that time, had two Lovebirds and two AG of her own). She knew I hadn't decided on any specific Poicephalus; I figured I'd see what was available within the smaller Pois when I was ready to bring one home.

It turns out that towards April my mother started looking at ads for Pois all on her own. April was technically the last month of school and my birthday also happens to be towards the end of the month. So, as the month ended, my mother surprised me, saying her and my dad were going to get me a parrot for my graduation/birthday present and that she found a breeder with baby Senegals for sale. These babies were being sold unweaned, however, she had her breeder friend at the time (the breeder I got Piper from) agree to wean whichever baby, if any, I would bring back.

So on April 30, 2006, my dad and I drove down to the city where these Senegals were (which was like 1.5 hours away...).

There were two babies left, both 1 month old, and both didn't look to be in great shape. They both had issues with their legs, Shade being the one who looked better off. The breeder explained that he got these from another breeder and I'm guessing he was trying to "unload" them early because of their problems. Shade showed the most interest towards me, wiggled her way up to me. Being a total sucker I couldn't leave her behind so I told my dad we should bring her back. The breeder then offered to throw in the other baby "for free" - and my dad said we were going to bring him too. I think he was afraid of what might happen to him had he stayed behind.

In any case, the "inexpensive" and "free" birds ended up costing a small fortune in vet fees - Shade having had a broken leg that was healing improperly and her brother (who still resides with my mother) had two badly splayed and, at the time, infected, legs (a cut that went untreated).

However, 7 years later, both of them are pretty happy birds, despite their rough start in life.

As babies at the breeder -

only Shade

Shade (pink) and her brother (Nemo - purple)

Shade (above) and Nemo (below)

Recent pictures -

2. The following 2 users like this post:

keepsmiling (04-27-2013), mistywaterwoman (04-29-2013)

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    I love Shade, and love her name! Thanks for sharing her story and your wonderful photos!

4. The following user likes this post:

Shade (04-28-2013)

Parrots

Piper ~ Peachface Lovebird; Shade ~ Senegal Parrot; Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied Parrots; Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's Parrot; Léa ~ Cape Parrot
    Thanks Carole!
    Apparently, according to a website I consulted at the time, "Shade" is "Sweet" in Swahili...how accurate that is though, I don't know

Shade is adorable. Thankyou for sharing your story and pics with us

7. The following user likes this post:

Shade (04-28-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    How sweet! She is adorable!
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

9. The following user likes this post:

Shade (04-28-2013)

Parrots

1 Quaker Parrot......So far!
    Beautiful pictures! How are Senegals as companion critters? Are they noisy,quiet,friendly?

11. The following user likes this post:

Shade (04-29-2013)

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    She looks great! I love stories of "damaged" birds with happy endings.

13. The following user likes this post:

Shade (04-29-2013)

Parrots

2 peach faced lovebirds (one is seagreen)
    Oh, she's a DOLL!! I am loving that last pic, especially, where something of her personality comes through.

Bless you for taking them both, and nursing them back to health.

15. The following user likes this post:

Shade (04-29-2013)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Beautiful pictures! How are Senegals as companion critters? Are they noisy,quiet,friendly?
    Shade is pretty awesome, and pretty much as close as possible to my version of the perfect bird
    Some have a tendency to become one person birds, but I believe, and Shade is living proof, that with lots of socialization, you can have a nice "rounded" parrot.

She is also by no means noisy

Parrots

Merlin & Charlie the Senegals, Brucie & Lucie the Budgies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Shade is pretty awesome, and pretty much as close as possible to my version of the perfect bird
    Some have a tendency to become one person birds, but I believe, and Shade is living proof, that with lots of socialization, you can have a nice "rounded" parrot.

She is also by no means noisy
    Can we swap? I can't get Merlin to shut up

Just read through your posts of your birds and you truely have a wonderful looking flock. They all look great and sound like they're well loved! I particularly loved the pictures of your red bellied, I rarely see them so it's a nice surprise!

Lovely flock, I'm jealous!