User Tag List

Thread: Lovebird?

Parrots

Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo

Lovebird?

Hi everyone!

My sister and I are thinking of getting a lovebird sometime in June and I was wondering is there anything specific I need to know about them. We are thinking of a peach faced lovebird. Another thing is, is it possible for Bandit to get along with a lovebird? I leaning towards no, of course they will NOT be housed together, I mean as in would we be able to let the two out together? Of course Bandit is gigantic compared to a lovebird, if you don't already know Bandit is a RB2.

Anyways, I'd love to hear from people owning a lovebird/s

Advise would be appreciated!

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    Hi Angelica. I don't have a lovebird, but do know they need to be handled daily. They can get nippy.Whether they can be out at the same time depends on several factors. I keep my birds flighted, so would not risk a large and small bird out together, unless I was right there the entire time, and even then.Sometimes the little guys can think they are big and tough, and get themselves into trouble. Gryphon is that way, and will challenge my bigger birds, to the point of getting right in their face. So I keep him completely separate from the rest. It takes only one mistake, in a blink of an eye, and a terrible outcome can occur.
    Hopefully some members with a lovebird will be along to give you more specific info. They are very beautiful, and can be trained for recall flight.

Parrots

2 peach faced lovebirds (one is seagreen)
    Mine are not hand tamed, but I can tell you they have BIG personalities for such little birds. I don't think they know they are little, lol.
    They are suprisingly loud for their size as well.

I would never leave them "out" with another bird. I've read too many horror stories about what can happen.

Parrots

Piper ~ Peachface Lovebird; Shade ~ Senegal Parrot; Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied Parrots; Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's Parrot; Léa ~ Cape Parrot
    I have a Peachface lovebird and he's quite adorable. However, as it is with Lovebirds in general, he has no fear and thinks he's much bigger than he is.
    I also have a Cape, which I guess could be considered about the same size as a RB2, and both birds are not out at the same time - it's not worth the risk of injury. Piper being fearless could get a little too close to Léa, and even though she might not mean any harm, the size difference between the two is such that she could easily hurt him severely.

Funnily enough though, Piper is the only other name Léa has learned (other than her own) out of all the other birds in my flock

Parrots

Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
    Thanks for all the advise guys! Really helps!

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)
    Lovebirds are a LOT of fun - I can tell you that much lol... There is never a dull moment with them

My galah is still in quarantine so my lovies haven't met her yet - but at this stage I don't think I'll be letting them out together... I don't even let them out with my cockatiel lol...

You know how with dogs - alot of jack russells, chihuahuas and similar sized, seem to have 'small dog syndrome' and will happily take on a much bigger dog? Lovebirds have 'small bird syndrome'

7. The following user likes this post:

mistywaterwoman (05-26-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkatiel View Post
    Lovebirds are a LOT of fun - I can tell you that much lol... There is never a dull moment with them

My galah is still in quarantine so my lovies haven't met her yet - but at this stage I don't think I'll be letting them out together... I don't even let them out with my cockatiel lol...

You know how with dogs - alot of jack russells, chihuahuas and similar sized, seem to have 'small dog syndrome' and will happily take on a much bigger dog? Lovebirds have 'small bird syndrome'
    How true! I have seen lovebirds attack cats and dogs!

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Hey, glad you're looking into a lovie, they're amazing birds!

I would say 2 things, everyone is right in saying they have huge personalities, and it's probably just like how your RB2 is, or used to be. They think they're a lot bigger and badder than everyone else, and really need a dominant hand in showing them what's okay and what's not. They are VERY territorial, and it is advised to not even keep them together with other lovies. I would never introduce your RB2 to a lovie. Not because I would be scared for the lovie, but I'd be scared for the RB2! They're feisty little devils packed into one small bird, and don't get me wrong, they're amazzinggg I wouldn't trade one for the world, but they're almost like a mini-macaw haha. Nothing like a Conure in my opinion and definitely not a budgie either.

Obviously their bites arent hard, so in the taming process if you were to get bit it's not usually even enough to break skin or anything, but they just need to know that they're the submissive one and that's how it has to be, Quite like your RB2 I assume. I have heard stories like that from RB2's, but obviously the bite is a lot meaner! XD

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Please notice that this thread was generated in 2013.