User Tag List

Thread: I want a Meyers parrot

Parrots

~Rizzy~the green cheek conure ~Lilou~the senegal

I want a Meyers parrot

Eventually I'd like to get a meyers parrot. I don't know much about them personally as I've never had any interaction with them but based upon what I've read they seem like a good fit for me the next time I choose to expand my flock. I just wanted to get some opinions/stories from people who have or have had a meyers. I'd like to get a feel for how they are personality wise, are they cuddley, loud, funny, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not ready yet but one day I hope to have one!

Parrots

Piper ~ Peachface Lovebird; Shade ~ Senegal Parrot; Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied Parrots; Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's Parrot; Léa ~ Cape Parrot
    I have two male Meyer's, one who will be 6 next week and one who is probably around 18. Both came from a rescue and both had some issues to overcome.

On the whole though, as with most Poicephalus they aren't very loud (compared to other species of parrots) but I have to say my two Meyer's are the loudest of my flock. The Poi call can be a high pitch one so on the occasional day where they might be a bit more relentless about doing it, it can be a bit annoying.

Pois aren't known to be cuddly birds per se - I have found my guys, including the Meyer's, to like some one-on-one time, but they are also quite capable of being independent. With that said, the older Meyer's, who loves men, generally sticks pretty close to my SO when he's out of his cage.

Parrots

congo grey brown head mini macaw
    I had a meyers when I was 12 years old! He was a great little bird. Very easy to handle and tame. I had him for a few years and he passed away from an accident. Id get another one one day! Perfect size for me too!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I was just reading about them in Parrots magazine last night. The author said they are difficult to breed so there are not many around. They are very private birds when it comes to mating and nesting. Author suggested if you wanted chicks the best way is to put them into a room by themselves. Good luck with your search.

Parrots

Well now I've settled on a Senegal. Got my baby last week. She was "weaned" however I've been handfeeding her since I got her home because she cries for it and it seems now she has polyuria so I'm trying hard to find an avian vet in the area. There just seems to be too much liquid when she goes it's like a lil spray here and there and I'm sure that is abnormal. There used to be a great avian vet here in wilmington a few years back but I can't seem to find her now

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    Just a little hint if you are still hand feeding her plus she is drinking and eating on her own she is probably taking in much more water which would then lead to a runnier fecal which you are describing as polyuria(excessive urination). That is just something to take in because I was worried about my greenwing at one point, he was having very runny droppings and once I realized oh he is drinking a lot! Of water each day then I realized he was perfectly fine his water intake was just much higher then most, which could be saying something else was wrong(in my case there wasn't). So I would defiantly say take her to the vet I am not telling you not to just giving you a hint at what could be a possible issue

7. The following user likes this post:

Shellybean (05-25-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    You can search here for avian vets:

http://www.aav.org/

I hope she is ok or will be better soon

Keep us updated, I will be thinking of you.

9. The following user likes this post:

Shellybean (05-25-2013)

Parrots

Thanks Justin that calms my nerves somewhat. I'm really hoping (was kinda thinking) that with all the handfeeding she might be getting excess fluids so peeing more often. Hopefully that's what it is. And thanks Audrey I actually found ONE vet in my area so I must make an appointment. I'm hoping all is well with her I've really been stressed since I got her due to finding out she wasn't exactly weaned and handfeeding last minute. I had to brush up on my handfeeding skills because it's been a while and I was afraid I'd mess up and make her sick but I've got it now! She peeps most the time even after she's eaten she wants to eat everyone's face as well (as if food is gonna come out of my mouth for her ha!). She's very nice and gentle about it at least. Thanks guys for the support and info.

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    No problem keep us updated