User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yuna~A Special Hawk-Headed Parrot

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon

Yuna~A Special Hawk-Headed Parrot

This is a sad story with a happy outcome. It is the story of Yuna, one of the sweetest birds I know. Some one on another site had posted about her being available on CL. A friend,{Judy-Greycloud} posted to bring my attention to the thread. Something about her when I saw her original pics, just screamed "help me, quick!" She has only one foot, which tugged a little harder at my heart. I felt such an urgency, it was too overwhelming to ignore. She was located about two hours away driving time. I convinced the person to meet me halfway.
    When he pulled up, he got out of his vehicle with her in his hand. I paid the ransom, and I asked if she was clipped? He replied no, but she never flew. I placed her in the carrier I brought, and noticed a heavy tail bob right away. I asked him if he hadn't noticed it? He said she had only started doing it since he began traveling with her that day.
    As I drove home, I noticed her left nostril was bubbling out white. My heart sank. I knew I had a very sick bird on my hands. I made an appt for first thing the next day.
    So began our journey to making her well. The vet said she was too weak to take enough blood for testing at that time. her xrays showed nearly all air sacs were full of infection. Her heart and liver were enlarged. The opposite nostril of the one that was bubbling was totally occluded. I asked the vet if he could keep her over the weekend. It is a good thing I did and he agreed. He took me down in a bit, to show me where he had set her up with oxygen. She was so exhausted the oxygen was already easing her into sleep.
    Monday came and I went to pick her up. The meds and keeping her at the vets already made a difference. We were to administer several antibiotics and anti-fungal meds for the next 21 days. I kept her in a spare room, with just a crate as a cage, but allowed her out in the day as much as she wanted. I visited her often, but since we didn't know what exactly she might have at that point, quarantine was very strict, including changing shoes at the door.
    Here are some of the first sad pics.

to be continued...

2. The following 4 users like this post:

aliray (04-26-2013), mistywaterwoman (04-27-2013), roxynoodle (04-26-2013), ShellyBorg (04-26-2013)

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    Back in a bit to finish..I need

4. The following 2 users like this post:

aliray (04-26-2013), mistywaterwoman (04-27-2013)

Parrots

So as the days passed, Yuna gained strength. She started flying around the room! She had her first bath, and she acted like it truly was her first....

continued..

6. The following 4 users like this post:

aliray (04-26-2013), mistywaterwoman (04-27-2013), roxynoodle (04-26-2013), ShellyBorg (04-26-2013)

Parrots

8. The following user likes this post:

aliray (04-26-2013)

Parrots

We finally made it out of quarantine! And had to do some cage shifting to give her a new home. I gave Cochise a big corner cage, and gave his cage to Yuna, since it has some features like the porch, that I felt would help her since she has only one foot. I was told the breeder went to pull her as a chick, and the mom pulled back and mangled her leg. The foot had to be amputated. She knows no other way of life, and it really does not slow her down much. I did make some arrangements in her cage to make life easier, like flat and rope perches, and little boings that she uses like vines.For safety sake I placed a thick blanket at the bottom, and keep it covered with paper, in case she falls.

She took about a minute to own it...

her original set up

continued..
    Last edited by keepsmiling; 04-26-2013 at 03:01 PM.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Parrots

She started looking gorgeous. And is so very sweet. She talks well, and loves everyone she meets.

I place a clean towel each day on the porch, I am constantly thinking of new ways to give her comfort and a break off the leg.

the blanket on the bottom

covered

continued..

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Parrots

One particular day, we had this experience....

my favorite video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHcjmY1dWMQ

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Parrots

She is so cute, and her voice is so girly.

She adores Troy!

And she makes lots of cresty action

Then she had a slight relapse...back to the vet, and another round of antibiotics!!

continued...

16. The following 3 users like this post:

aliray (04-26-2013), mistywaterwoman (04-27-2013), ShellyBorg (04-26-2013)

Parrots

Once again well...we had some fun...

I found a fleece covered platform and perch!

she loves to mess around on my desk

I am so happy to see her healthy and beautiful

and SMILING

18. The following 4 users like this post:

Wow, what a beautiful story Carole.

You can clearly see in the first pics just how sad she looked, but now she just looks so happy and healthy She is absoulutely adorable, and such beautiful colours

You have done a wonderful job with ther Carole.

20. The following 2 users like this post:

keepsmiling (04-26-2013), roxynoodle (04-26-2013)